4/4/08

Yard Sale

What is with my son packing up some of his toys (and his sister's) in a box and going outside to have a yard sale? I am pretty sure the movie Toy Story 2 had a big influence on his behavior. Firstly, I had to weed out some of the toys that weren't his to sell, and then some of his cool toys that he should not sell. I don't know why I bothered because I go out to the sidewalk with him and he sets the box down and 2 seconds later asks, "Doesn't anyone know that there is a yard sale here?" So I, being the mom that doesn't want my child to fail, offer to make some cookies that he could sell at the bus stop as the kids get off. He agrees and after they're made, we go rushing out there just as the bus pulls up. He sold 5 cookies and was happy with the money he made. (He and my daughter have been single-handedly keeping the vending machines at the grocery store in business.) The next day, a girl from the bus comes to our door to buy more cookies, and lucky for her (and my waistline) I hadn't eaten them all. Yet. So Hunter made another dollar without even having to sport his snowboots in public again.

















7 comments:

K said...

Tristie you are such a good Mom! You are good at the sale thing. Preslie did a good job with the cookies and lemonade too. I think it teaches them good principles... hmmmm..... maybe I should try that with my son. It's always too much work for me, I'd rather give him the dollar. Ok, I need to work on our work ethic a bit. Thanks for the inspiration!

Ghislaine Richards said...

Hi Tristie! I found your website through Valerie Bateman. Your little guy looks just like you!! Where are you guys living? We just moved back to Utah. We are in Layton! Our blog is richardsfam-ghislaine.blogspot.com What is our blog address? Your pictures are so cute!!

Beau and Rach said...

What a cute mom you are! I wish I could have been there to buy some of those yummy cookies!

Amelia said...

I agree, a great mom, I will have to remember to do a bake sale this summer. (Not very effective to have one in the rain!)

Anonymous said...

Yup, he's one little entrepreneur. So cute. He's lucky to have a mom who takes the time to help him succeed and learn valuable lessons. Kudos to H. Boy and his mom.

annek said...

I love it! H cracks me up! I think I remember trying to have yard sales when I was little. I even think I tried to sell rubber bands once!
He is one lucky boy to have you help keep his imagination and ambition.

Kimberly said...

What a sweet story. Can you believe how grownup he his?