2/25/08

The Trick is to Enjoy Life

My husband said something last night that got me thinking a little. He said, "It is so interesting that we go through these different stages of life and they seem so serious at the time. But looking back, they were so cool." He mentioned how fun it would be to go back for a couple of weeks and be a senior in high school, or go back to his mission. I have thought about this in bringing our little Mack into our home and how crazy it sometimes is; and I remember it being just as crazy with one baby. It makes me think I should have had more fun when I had just one!

Also in each stage of life it seems like I look ahead and think, Oh, won't that be cool when the kids are all old enough to do this or that, or won't it be cool when Dax and I are empty nesters and we can go on a mission or take little vacations together? And people who have older kids or their kids have left home always say, "I wish I could go back to when my kids were little." Grandmas always say that when their kids were little were the best years of their life.

So what is up with us humans not enjoying the stage of life we're in right now? I am SO guilty of this, even though I know it is important to living a happy and fulfilling life. I think there are legitimate reasons people want to move on to the next phase of life; some parts of life are HARD. Hard stuff sometimes sucks. It is hard to make adjustments to our stage in life because we have to work harder. I have to change what I do and how I think. Moving on to a new stage might bring me some cool new things, but it is also going to bring new challenges. The challenges I had as a newlywed are not the same as the ones I have being married 7 years with 3 young children. And I am sure that having no children in the house has challenges (I can't think of any right now, but there probably are some). So if all those old grannies in Relief Society are right, I better enjoy "the best years of my life" right now. It is time to be less serious and stop sweating the small stuff. My house is a complete wreck. That is absolutely true. My body is sore from holding my baby all day, every day. I live in the "armpit of Utah" in a ghetto part of town. So what? I am happy. I love my husband. My kids are taken care of. The Lord is watching out for me. I have good friends and a super loving and supportive family.


"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead."

-Marjorie Hinckley

10 comments:

K said...

This post is so true! I think about this all the time. I have been better about embracing all the times I think I don't love because they are hard. But I have learned one thing so far in life that time takes away a lot of the sting and really does heal a lot of wounds. Things always look better when you're no longer in them and they seem to find "fondness" when you're in a different place. The funny thing is like you said, why do we have to keep learning the same lessons that we have already learned but seem to forget. Let me know if you figure it out!

Lifes Great Adventures said...

I love your post! I do the same thing but mine is "when we have a baby" or etc. then we will do this or that and it will be great etc. I am trying to enjoy the time right now and be happy with life the way it is. I don't think you live in the "armpit of Utah" don't let anyone tell you it is, because a place is what you make it. I heard once in a relief society lesson that life is like a book and we have to have all that chapters good and bad to make up the whole book.

Jacob said...

Amen, sister! Also, it's interesting how we take for granted what we have! For example: some people never know the joy of sharing their life with someone (this has hit me hard having some friends approaching their mid-life and not having "found" someone) and some never know the joy of the pitter patter of little feet!(likewise, having some dear friends who have been unable to have children) Sometimes the grass does seem greener - but when we're busy looking at the other side of the fence we forget we are in our own splendid pasture! Thanks for the reminder!

Clint, Brielle, Molly and Maggie said...

Amen! i just love your posts! You are so cute and have so many good things to say that open my eyes a little each time. I think you are a great mom and the sweetest thing every. Enjoy Life and your sweet little children.

annek said...

Thanks...I needed that!

Anonymous said...

YES, yes, yes. Who always said "these are the good old days" ? Grandpa in Santa Clara

Anonymous said...

Oh Tristie, you were always my wisest friend! I love this post because I too am VERY guilty of wanting to move on to the next stage of life when times get tough, and I really need to not sweat the small stuff as much.

You crack me up with your "armpit of Utah" living situation. You are obviously making the best of it and that is what I love about you. You are so positive and I just love ya to pieces. I will forever be so grateful that we are still friends. I love this picture of you and your kids. I cannot get over how sweet they are. That little baby is just too much.

Hey, you must have some good biceps goin on if you are holding Mack all day! Lucky you...I have to pump iron for 2 hours a day to get any kind of muscle!!!

Jaedon Flora said...

Tristie - Love you! I can't wait to hug you. Happy Birthday!

Kimberly said...

Tristie, you always have so many commenters that I usually don't say anything. I just wanted to thank you again for sharing your blog with me. Your life is so similar to mine right now. I love knowing that I have someone who can relate.

janet said...

love this post... it's so true and you are such a great example to us. I LOVE the pic of you reading to your kids!