10/28/08

plain and simple

If they must have characters, let it be on their underwear. I have never been a fan of cartoon characters on kids' clothing or shoes. I walked around K-mart a few weeks ago and I almost felt sick looking around their baby clothes section. There wasn't ONE plain shirt or even a plain pair of pants in sight. Everything was decorated with teddy bears or Lightning McQueen or Elmo and I could just see in my mind the little 8-year-olds in a distant factory sewing all those clothes for a dime a day so that I could buy the Mickey super mechanic 2-piece outfit for only $10.49. Anyway, I am just not one to buy clothes with a lot of stuff on them. Even for myself; I DO like bold colors and patterns, but I will rarely wear something with a brand name printed across it. I don't really feel like paying a company to advertise for them.

Recently my taste in other things has become less cluttered and more streamlined. My kids were so excited to put up Halloween decorations in September, as usual. When I pulled the box out, I just got this "bleh" feeling and then put it back away. I am SO sick of clutter. I couldn't bare to set out more stuff in my home. I am ready for a new style. I think the word I am searching for is CLEAN. My mom told me the other day that once I move to my house, it will be easier to keep things clean because there will actually be a spot for everything. That made my day! But then I got thinking, since I will have SO much more space, I don't want that to be an excuse to collect things I don't need or want. Living in apartments for the past many years and moving often has forced us to only hold onto the things that we really need or really want because that is all that will fit and that is all we are willing to move every year or so. Having few possessions keeps life simple.

Another move is around the corner for us; I am excited to purge our belongings again. I am going to keep simplicity in my life. I would like to start over fresh and let go of anything that clutters my home, my time, or my mind. I only want to be surrounded by the things and people that I love.

8 comments:

K said...

That's why you are so lucky to get to move into a house with space. It is so much easier to keep organized with space to spare. Plus, moving always makes you think whether or not you "need" it or not. I am so over due for a move so that I can take part in the purging myself. Funny how when we want things so simple they become complicated:) You'll get there. Your house will be amazing and beautiful. I know you. As for the baby clothes, Target and sometimes Old Navy usually has "plainer" clothes. I run into the same thing with a 10 year old! I dare you to find an outfit in a size 10 that doesn't have a guitar or skull on it.

val said...

i'm on a huge decluttering kick and have been the past year. it helps that we are living with our parents and keep our stuff to two rooms. we sold tons of our junk before we left logan and that was the best decision of our lives. i love having less. i just read "it's all too much" by peter walsh. i highly recommend it. he's a pro organizer. check it out at the library. it helps you decide what you really need to keep and what you can feel good about getting rid of.

Lifes Great Adventures said...

I understand what you are saying! I usually love to decorate for Halloween but since we moved into this rental house I haven't much because it always looks cluttered and messy! It really is easier for a place to look cleaner when you have the storage. We had the space in our house in Orem so it made it hard to move back into a small place like our rental home. I am so excited to move into our new house for even just that reason alone- we (your family & mine) will soon have more space! We just have to hang in there! We will sooo appreciate it!! Good luck!

Amelia said...

I agree, characters only on underpants. Dora is cute on underpants... not so much on clothes.

Anonymous said...

love all the comments. I just got back from the library with "It's All Too Much" in my hands. Can't wait to read it.

Sant Family said...

I HATE clothes with characters, although I will allow it on the undies (but I had to draw the line with Ben wanting Tinkerbell - just kidding!) I will also allow it on bedding, primarily because my mom bought it for the boys. I hate to pay for advertising too, but if I see it at Plato's Closet and is $6, well, I suffer and enjoy the look on my kids, silently laughing at some sucker that paid $25 for the tshirt 6 months ago.

I need to declutter. This is the longest we have lived anywhere, and it is really showing.

Beau and Rach said...

There must be a "plain and simple" breeze blowing around! I couldn't agree with you more!

Ashley said...

Amen. To all of it. The character t-shirts, purging, apartment living. It's like you're in my head.