
I don't get it. Preslie was never attached to a binky or her bottle as a baby, nothing. And then boom, when she was around 2 she stared sucking her finger. Dax and I wanted to put the kibosh on that right away so we went and got the stuff you paint on their fingernail that tastes yucky. We read the ingredients to make sure it was safe: Cayenne pepper and citric acid. Cool. We painted it on Preslie's index finger and a minute later she popped the finger in her mouth, pulled it back out and said, "Mmm. Spicey Oranges!"
We've tried band-aids, hot sauce, rewards. Nothing was permanent enough. Then suddenly she is 5 and losing her teeth. We really drilled it into her that she needed to stop before her permanent teeth were in. Well, now she's 6 and their in and she's still sucking her finger.
Then one day at the grocery store check stand, I notice the cashier's crazy fake fingernails and I got an idea! Trying to explain it over the phone to the local salon receptionist was another thing.
"You want to get ONE nail done?"
"Yes"
"HOW old is she?"
"Six"
"Ok, hold on......."
I don't care that she or anyone else, including my husband, think I am nuts because I think it's going to work. So after the salon thing didn't pan out, I rang a friend in my ward that does her own nails and explained the sitch to her. She too, thought I was wacko but was more than accommodating, and did Preslie's nail this afternoon...
9 comments:
Rachel started sucking her thumb just after she turned one. She finally BEGGED the dentist to give her an appliance in her mouth when she was about 8. She would wake up, sucking her thumb! She hated it and it was ruining her teeth. I wish that I would have thought of this. It would have been MUCH cheaper. I think it is a BRILLANT idea! Snaps to you, Miss Smarty!
Hahaha that is so funny! I would have never thought of getting one nail done!!!! Way creative!!!
You are a genius!
Ditto - you're so creative! Must be in the mom genes. :-)
You've been busy since I checked last. The progress on your house is so exciting. I like watching the framers work too. It's amazing what they can do. You are a busy little cook too. I'll have to try your pork sandwiches and pie. Happy Bday to your hubby and good luck with the nails!
I think it will work. My sister had a major nail biting issue, to the point her fingers would bleed. Fake nails were the only thing that worked to cut her addiction. I hope it works. Be sure to let us know how it turns out!
This is hilarious! I will have to remember this one. One for the genious mom tricks book.
Do you think McKenna could still write at school with both her thumbs done? ....... maybe I'll try regardless :)
Amazing. Hope she doesn't forget it's there and swallow it during an absent moment. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm missing my little Thumbelina so very much.
Post a Comment