Have lots of good stuff on my brain right now cause I just got back from the Relief Society general broadcast from my church. From the second Julie B. Beck began her remarks, I felt inspired and uplifted. I know her words are for me! Many things she addressed had to do with some of my concerns:
I am concerned about keeping strong relationships with my children and helping them be able to recognize and stand up for truth.
Sister Beck outlined 3 purposes of Relief Society. Number 2 was strengthen families and homes. She said, "Our homes should be their [our children's] refuge from the daily evil they encounter."
I am concerned about not being close to my family. I want desperately to live close to my parents or my sisters so I can that love and support whenever I want or need it.
Sister Beck told of when her mother moved to another country and before she left, Julie asked her mom "But who will be my mother?" To which her mom replied, "Relief Society will be your mother." This gave me comfort to realize that this organization does precisely what a mother does. Takes care of you when your sick or when you have babies, strengthens your testimony of Jesus Christ, and brings the family together. Sounds like a Mother to me!
President Dieder F. Uchtdorf said that everyone has burdens and things they are concerned with and we need to focus on the things that we've accomplished and who we really are instead of what we are lacking. I loved the angle he took on how we can have God's happiness--by creating and compassion. I think I have the desire and ability to create and to give compassion so it was neat to think that I acquired these attributes from my Father in Heaven.
Another idea that struck me was in one of the hymns:
"Who am I to judge another when I walk imperfectly?
In the quiet heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can't see."
How wrong I've been to talk or think badly of people around me that (in my mind) are doing the wrong thing. Everyone has sorrow and serious concerns, like President Uchtdorf said, and I really do think that most people are doing the best they can with what they've been given. I have been given SO much and I need to try and do the best with what I have and not compare myself to what others think or do. That does not work.
So great to hear our church leaders with no interruptions! I left my kids with a babysitter (Mack for the first time) and it was worth every penny.
3 comments:
I loved Elder Uchdorf's talk, too. I liked the idea that we have our creativity and compassion from the Master Creator, too.
Fabulous. Thought provoking.
Thanks for posting your thoughts!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've had the flu and wasn't able to attend. I appreciate you sharing what the messages meant to you!
I watched the rebroadcast on KBYU. I especially loved Elder Uchdorf's talk. I so needed to hear it. I'm excited to hear more this weekend.
Post a Comment