9/11/08

an hour of panic

I have not been that worried since we lost 2-year-old Hunter at Lagoon a few years ago.

This afternoon, my boys were napping and I was working on the computer when I glanced at the clock...3:16pm. Preslie should have been home since her bus pulls up at 3:08. I walk outside and ask the neighbor boy if he's seen Preslie. No. I ask him to come sit in my house while I go look for her.

I drove in the pouring rain to the elementary school thinking maybe she misunderstood and thought I was going to pick her up today. Not there. I drove back home. Not there. I drove to the bus garage. No one was there, not even an employee of any kind. I recited in my mind what she was wearing today and came home to call the police while each minute my heart felt like it was either stopped or beating so hard, it hurt. The bus garage called me and said she was still on the bus.

I'll be right there.

Preslie tells it better in her words. From her journal:

thuday 11 sept. 2008
today i went to school and I went to the Bus and it was a sub. it did not stop where I get off. all of the kids wer off. and I was the only one. My Mom was so sad. I gave him my number. I was Happy and my Mom too!

So relieved.

17 comments:

Kati said...

NOTHING is worse than not knowing where your child is. I got a pit in my stomach just reading about it. I can just imagine your panic. Glad she made it home safe.

Sant Family said...

Oh my gosh!! So terrifying! My heart was just pounding reading about it. What a little star Preslie is to write about it so well in her journal. I am so glad that it all turned out good!

Anonymous said...

Whew, that was too scary. So glad she was brave and could remember her phone number. Sorry you had to go through that terrible panic. We've all been there. You want to scream and shake when you find them but at the same time hug 'em like crazy.

Shelly Traveller said...

How scary! I'm so glad it had a happy ending! Now I'll go and teach my kids our phone number :)

karlin said...

Oh my goodness! I bet your were panicing! Is that not your worst nightmare? Weston has been running away lately so I kind of know the feeling. I was ready to call 911 the other day too. I LOVE Preslie's journal entry. So cute and sweet.

Anonymous said...

That is my worst nightmare!! I am so happy that all is well!

K said...

So glad all ended well. Good for Preslie that she didn't get off at the wrong bus stop, that could have been worse. She also knew your phone number, which is a huge help. A little boy at scouts couldn't give us his phone number or address and his parents forgot him. So proud of her, and you for not completely losing it!

Amelia said...

You must have been shaking with panic! Glad all was okay.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, I would have needed some kind of sedative. I am SO glad you found her. I love her journal entry, that is priceless!!!

Love ya.

Kelly Nordfelt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly Nordfelt said...

Oh my! That was scarey to read! I am glad that she got home safe and sound.
On a lighter note, I am SO EXCITED for your house! It's looking good! I'll have to come visit you.

Kelly Nordfelt said...

Oh my! That was scarey to read! I am glad that she got home safe and sound.
On a lighter note, I am SO EXCITED for your house! It's looking good! I'll have to come visit you.

Kelly Nordfelt said...

Oh my! That was scarey to read! I am glad that she got home safe and sound.
On a lighter note, I am SO EXCITED for your house! It's looking good! I'll have to come visit you.

Kelly Nordfelt said...

Oh my! That was scarey to read! I am glad that she got home safe and sound.
On a lighter note, I am SO EXCITED for your house! It's looking good! I'll have to come visit you.

Jaedon Flora said...

I am so glad everything turned out. That is so scary!!!! Kiss Preslie for me.

Beau and Rach said...

I would pee my pants!

Kimberly said...

Scary! Sounds like Preslie had good presence of mind. She did just the right thing.