I know I made a post recently about enjoying the stage of life that I'm in right now instead of wishing away my days in search for better ones. I am not saying life is horrible right now. I am enjoying things, but I can't help but wonder what lies ahead for our little family. We are on this adventure called life, living in this town, in this apartment, driving our car that we drive. And it is all fine and happy. But I know that we will eventually move on. I know that because I don't think I will raise my family in an upstairs 3 bedroom 1 bath, 800 square foot apartment for the rest of my life. We will move on from here. But to what? We most likely will have another child. We will most definitely need new car in the next year or so. We want to own a house someday. It is a little nerve wracking not knowing what lies ahead 1 year from now. But that has been the story during most of my married life. I wonder what it feels like to be "settled". To know you will be in one place forever, or at least for a long time. To look around and think, this is my permanent location, my permanent neighborhood and my neighbors. Picking up and moving-- whether it be yourself, or you and your spouse, or the two of you and your kids-- is a huge deal. It is hard. It's exciting. I've done it 8 times in my 8 years of marriage. I don't know what it is like for my friends who married right after graduation and built a new house in our hometown and have lived there happily ever after since. I am kind of jealous; I guess the grass seems greener on the other side of the fence. But at the same time, those people never got to live in another city or state. They never got to meet all the people or see all the places that go with it. They never got to move somewhere and feel so lonely that it almost hurts and therefore, they will never know how important it is to welcome the new person that moves in to their neighborhood. I feel like I've had an adventurous married life so far. I have lived in St. George and Logan - two completely opposite ends of Utah. I have lived in Harrison, ID. No one knows where that is because the population is 212. I graduated with over 600 people in my class, just to give a refrence to how few 212 is. The closest town is 30 minutes away and the nearest major city- Coeur d' Alene is 1 hour away. We moved there when Preslie was 4 months old. We had no TV and no phone in our house. The icing on the cake is that we lived with a single girl that we'd never met until we arrived there.
I've also lived in a 28 foot camp trailer that smelled like cigarette smoke, cats, and Fabreze while Preslie was 18 months old and I was huge pregnant with Hunter. It was in Kanab, UT at the Crazy Horse RV park. FOUR long, hot months, people. In a trailer. In KANAB.
In all the adventures we've had together as a couple, Dax and I have learned a lot about life and relying on each other. We've seen places and met people that we will always love and remember. Life right now is just another step in our journey. All these experiences add something to us and give us more perspective. I wonder what we are gaining right now that we'll look back on later and say, "So that's why we went there." I guess it doesn't really matter where you live, what job you have, what car you drive, or how long it takes you to finally get "settled". It just matters that you are with the people you love, doing the best you can, keeping the end in mind, but enjoying the time along the way while you get there. Wherever "there" is.
15 comments:
Kanab in a trailer.
Pregnant.
I just don't even know what to say.
You are one tough cookie, Tristie!
Great post, too. I love your insights and thoughts.
we have moved as many times as you and Dax in our 8 short years of marriage, but I have never lived with another single girl OR in Kanab. But I do know where Harrison, ID.. and I love Coeur d'Alene.
Love this post. It made me cry. but not because you lived in a trailer that smelled like smoke-- but because you DO learn from every place you live and it makes you SO grateful to have the most important people around you.
I also have been so lonely that it hurts.. it makes greeting and inviting over newcomers that much more rewarding and important.
Once again LOVED your post. So insightful and funny all at once. What a picture you painted for us all of you big prego with Hunter, chasing Preslie in a smokey trailer. But ooohh the smell of Febreeze trying to mask gross smells...I bet that smelled good :)
I'm trying to reach out to new comers in our ward and neighborhood because i know soon we will be those new comers. I wouldn't mind if you moved back to SLC! Think about it Dax.
Hi Tristie - I loved your comments. I am here to say that even when you are "settled" you reach those lonely moments. Every time I reach those moments I know it is time to move. Not physically, but somehow move towards something different and better. Time to step up to a new rung in that latter of life. You are so amazing and have put up with so many hard things . . . but even better you do it with a smile on your face. You are an example to us all. Thinking "outside of your box" is one of your greatest qualities.
I have moved several times and have had good and bad times in my 101 years. Wherever the five ofd you are is "THERE". These are "the good old days" for you and yours. You are doing everything just right, carry on.
Grandpa
Tristie,
I can totally relate to this! I always wonder what is in store for us and etc. sometimes it is hard! Sometimes you just know you want something more or different but you don't know how you are going to get it and exactly what it is. I think moving does make you grow, and life experiences do this. Sometimes I don't want the hard life experiences, but I guess that is what give us character right? I know great things are in store for you guys, and your blessed to have 3 adorable kids!!
Trist,
In that post, you just described my life in a nutshell. I am so glad someone else is feeling this way too. This year in May Dan and I have been together 8 years and it has been one wild ride. I have moved about as much as you have and maybe a little bit more, had ups and downs, and all sorts of things that at the time I was NOT loving. But I am so grateful for all those experiences and it has made my marriage stronger. I am so glad it has done the same for you! Just the other day I was thinking about the very same thing, about how I don't know how it is to marry your high school sweetheart and go on to build huge homes where we grew up and to have lots of money or to drive way nice cars, but you put it in such good perspective for me. I am glad my life is never boring and it always keeps me on my toes! I am so grateful I am not the only one on this planet that feels that I will never be "settled!" But your sis is right, I think even when you are settled, you still feel like you need to move on to other things. We just have to hang in there Trist, our day is coming soon and I think the Lord is just preparing us and making sure that we are going to be grateful and really appreciate that day. I love ya so much and you just keep hangin in there!
Tina
After to moving into the house and being "settled"I thought that somehow it would feel different. Maybe after we have been here for awhile it will. But so far it feels just like our apartments always did after awhile. They felt like home, no matter the square footage (although it is nice to have some wiggle room). I am not sure that anyone is ever truly "settled" life is full of turns and twists. That is what makes it exciting at times and lonely too..... You never told me your trailer smelled like cats-YUCK :) Your are a great, always looking at the positive things in your families journey through life.
P.S. Do you think Trina would mind if I asked her for an invite to her blog. I would love to keep up on her life. She was always so fun!
You'll think of something to say about Roosevelt. I think.
Great posts, I love how you are always focused on what is important!
Tristie,
How funny that Kye and I were just talking about this very thing. We were laughing because he is still trying to figure out what he wants to be when he grows up, and that might require more school, and our 8th move in 6 years of marriage. We were laughing at those who get married out of highschool, have the prefect job and house...how boring! (So, I just wish it were me that's all)
Anyway, I look back on my 7 moves and look at all the wonderful, beautiful people I have met and still keep in contact with. I think that all the people like us (the ever moving, wondering what is going to happen in a year) learn so much from life. Moving to AZ was the hardest thing I have ever done. A year later, I can't imagine leaving all the wonderful people, friends, kids I taught and teach in Primary, and starting over again-but we will, and I will cry as hard as I did when I came here. My point is, in the next life you and I are going to party with all of our buddies across the United States and love it! I am excited to party with you...So are we EVER going to live by each other? Let's both aim for St. George in 5 years...
Oh Tristie--can you please move to SL and be my new neighbor? I promise to make you feel right at home. You just put into words exactly how I've been feeling lately. Our lives are so up in the air. We could be anywhere next year at this time. Different career, new place maybe? I have no idea. It stresses me out just thinking about it. And yeah--I think we might be in an apartment our entire married lives :)
I just love you to pieces Trist Hist. Seriously.
You know what... I am still asking myself that question. We have moved 7 times out of our 8 yrs of marriage and I'm sure we'll be moving more with my husband being a builder. You do what you can... right? I actually had a roommate that was from Roosevelt and I remember when I met her I didn't even know where that was but whenever you talk about the "small town" I think about her. She was a character and you are a trooper but you are right at least you have a family and kids to love!
Thanks. I needed that.
Tristie,
I hope you weren't talking about anyone inperticular in that. I was extremly blessed to be able to marry my high school sweetheart and live in the same town I grew up in, but I don't think that makes my life less challenging. You are an amazing outgoing person with a great positive attitude and if anyone could handle something like that it's you baby! Your day will come and you will settle down with that white pickett fence and think, alright that was fun, lets move somewhere else! In the end it doesnt matter where you live as long as you have your family and you Heavenly Father!
Love Dougals.....
Post a Comment