I have been stuggling so much lately with all the STUFF everywhere. It seems like it is all I do is keep up with all the stuff that we have. Organizing it, cleaning it, picking it up, getting my kids to clean it up, throwing it away, dodging it when I open up a cupboard and it all comes falling out... And don't get me started about MOVING it. And I realize that this has always been a battle for me, ever since I was married and Mom wasn't there to help me. I hate all the stuff everywhere, cluttering up my home, stealing away my time, and using up hard earned money. One of my new year's goals is to simplify and organize my life by getting rid of anything (not just tangible things) that crowds out the important things. I want to focus on what is important. I want to do not just good things, but better things. I want a clean home where the Spirit can be. And where WE can be without having to move a bunch of stuff to sit down or walk or eat. I seriously feel like the walls are caving in on me sometimes. This is a problem. And then Christmas happened and I find myself trying to manage MORE stuff, finding a place for everything and stressing over all the stuff that I bought. It is so annoying and frustrating. I hate it. I don't want anything else. I don't NEED anything else. Really. I don't.
Then today I got an email from my sister with a link to this video and it made me sick. Sick because it hit home. And it is so much more than just the STUFF. It is the mind set of Americans that is disgusting. If you have some time to be enlightened, watch this video.
(It's long, so if you don't want to watch all of it, open it and click on Distribution or Consumption and watch from there.)
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
Let me know what you think.
11 comments:
Justin's sister sent this right before Christmas. Luckily we're on a tight budget so the 'stuff' was minimal, but I was still thinking--you should send this BEFORE Christmas Eve :)
Hi Tristie - I enjoyed your blog! I am feeling the same way and when I saw this video . . . it just rang true to me and I knew I could do better. congrats on blessing Mack! He is so very beautiful. I'm so happy for you guys!
xoxoxo - Your Sis
Stuff comes and stuff goes but family lasts forever. You don't forget what lasts so everything else will eventually take care of itself. Tetonia, you're a saint with three kids and an apartment in a deep freeze zone. I promise some day the sun will come out and there will be grass to play on in the park. Maybe even some time this decade.
I had the same thoughts about "stuff" last night as I was opening closets and having things fall on my head and then going to another room to find yet another stack that needed to be sorted. It started to make me depressed with the overwhelming tasks I never have time for. I'm not sure how it happened or quite how I'm going to fix it yet, but it's up there on the list of things I'm working on this year. If you figure it our please share!
I totally hear you, girl! And I have a bin in my garage for stuff to give to charity... it is full all the time and it regularly gets donated! I don't know where all these things are coming from. Right now I am reading a great book called SIMPLIFY by Carolyn J. Rasmus and it's exactly what I need right now! It's not just about things we have, but things we do that keep us from doing what is MOST important. This is my goal for 2008... to live in accordance with my principles.. things that are most valuable to me. Anyway, Desert Book printed the book. It's great. Good luck to you and your family. You are SUCH an excellent mother!!
I love to throw away stuff! It's my favorite thing to do. If I am cleaning, and I see something on the floor that is never played with, but just thrown out of the bins to play with other toys, I throw it away. It is the best feeling. I decided that I wasn't going save the stuff for other people, because then it just stays in boxes. I know this is wasteful, but it feels so good.
The clutter expert that is on Oprah often says that there are two main forms of "stuff"
1. Stuff that we are saving for "one day"
2. Stuff that has a special memory.
Get rid of those things, and you'll feel free! That's what I did. And it's awesome. Just go grab something and toss it! It's amazing!
(Now I haven't done this in everyroom. Just MOST of them ;)
Amen! Too much stuff and I've found the bigger the house the more the stuff you have to stuff in places. I hate it! I love the feeling of being organized but it is so hard to keep up on!
Wow, that was enlightening! And now I want to take 1/2 of my stuff to the D.I. I might need a Uhaul though...
I enjoyed looking at your pictures Mack sure is cute. Try not to freeze down there. It has been cold up here in Idaho, but not quite as cold. When we first moved up here I thought we had moved to the North pole.
check out our blog at http://spackmans.blogspot.com/
You're right, it was long, but worth it!! There are so many things I've never thought about. I guess there are benefits to being way poor! I've always thought you do such a good job being happy with the stuff you've got! You were a great example of keeping those tiny 2 bedroom apartments in Logan organized and full of the stuff that matters!
Post a Comment