12/8/07

3rd time's the charm

We are so in love with this baby! The first 2 months of a baby's life are pretty crazy for the mom and dad. But this has definitely been my best newborn experience. I can attribute this to a few things:

1. Mack sleeps at night. I really think this has a lot to do with how smoothly the transition goes with having a baby. Getting sleep not only allows mom to recover faster but helps attitude and perspective and gives the energy it takes to run a family and a home.

2. I've learned a few things along the way. This being my 3rd time around, I have a different perspective than I did with my first and even my second (but especially my 1st). I wish I would have known then how fast a baby grows up and to not worry about all the little things I thought I was missing out on. The sacrifices are great, true, but they are so short-lived that if you focus on them, you will totally miss the good stuff about having a baby.

3. Things are so much better when no one is thrashing on the baby- translated: spacing your kids out a bit can be a blessing. The 1 and 2 year old Preslie was a beast to baby Hunter. She was a baby herself! Now that they are older, it was so worth having them close, but I have to say that this almost 4 year span between my boys has been wonderful. The older kids really understand that the baby is a living human that will get hurt if you poke his eyes, pull him off the couch, pinch his arm, etc.

4. There are more people to enjoy this with. My other babies were mostly enjoyed by my husband and me alone (Preslie was too young to get it), but now we have 4 people that love and adore this little baby and it makes it so fun! Love truly multiplies when you divide it among more people!


3 comments:

val said...

Wonderful post. You say it perfectly. I hope to continue to learn as I go and be nearly an expert by my third. I'm sure it is fun to have so many love your little Mack.

karlin said...

That is such a cute picture of Mack. I get exhausted already when I think about my third. So true about having a 2 year old and a newborn. It is so much work to keep them from hurting them. It is still that with Avaree 3 and Weston 1. I am constantly reminding Avaree to be careful and not PUSH him or steal his toys. I know I will appreciate my next newborn though because they grow SO fast. So fun to be in touch and up to date on your darling family!

annek said...

That picture is unbelieveable...he could be a little actor baby!! Thanks for the insight, you are a wonderful example.