12/14/07

a year without TV (and still alive!)

I've been loving reading my friends' blogs, lately. Must be the season, because there have been some good stuff going in the blogging world lately. Some people have posted recently about wonderful family traditions they enjoy, others about self-mastery and self-improvement, and others are simplifying their lives. I'm inspired by what people are doing to strengthen their families! And I'm loving all the great recipes. All this good stuff has made me want to post about our year with no TV in our home.

Last December, we decided to turn off our cable. There are lost of reasons we did it. We'd talked about it for months but never had the courage to actually do it until Comcast raised our rates; I think it is ridicuous to pay to receive the very basic channels, anyway. I'll show them, I thought. So we cancelled. I knew it would be hard for my husband who likes to relax in front of TV after work, and my kids who love the shows on PBS and would turn on the TV the minute after they ate breakfast. But I was surprised at how hard it was for me. The biggest adjustment I had to make was using my brain to think of things to do instead of just turning on a glowing box that gave endless hours of mindless entertainment. It was surprising how much we depended on TV to fill our time and entertain us. Well, it seemed so quiet in our house for the first couple weeks. And my kids kept asking 2 things over and over: "Why did you turn off the cable?" and "What can we do for fun?"

Fast forward a few months...We had no idea how much fun spending time together is! How great is it to have conversations with one another? (I am only kind of exaggerating.) Logan (where we lived at the time) is such a fun place to live. It has so much to do. We had tons of grass to play on, a swing set, a sand box. The pet store, book store, and Old Navy were a stick's throw away from our apartment. We had bikes to ride, good neighbors, a huge grassy field across the street at the middle school. There are awesome parks to play at. Then there's Logan canyon...a, not joking, 5 minute drive and you can be in the mountains surrounded by beautiful scenery and not be able to tell you are very near a city. There is first dam where you can go fishing and feed ducks. I could go on and on. The point is, we needed to get rid of the TV so we could enjoy life more. And I don't think TV is bad or evil, and it is fine to have TV in your house. There are uplifting programs, and it is a very nice break for a mom with young kids that needs to make dinner or have a shower without her kids screaming outside the bathroom door, etc. But it was just too easy for us to let it steal away all our time. Maybe we are the only ones who would turn it on at 6 or 7 to watch our fave show and before we knew it, Jay Leno was on. There needs to be a balance. Anyway, I am glad we did it, because now we don't live in Logan and we miss it so much. When we think of all the fun things we did, the shows we watched are not included on the list. And my kids never ask what they can do for fun, anymore. They play for HOURS imagining the coolest scenarios; I love to hear their creativity. My husband and I have enjoyed reading the last 2 Harry Potter books together and just finished Angels & Demons, by Dan Brown.(Side note, if you have any good books to recommend, we need another one to read! Please leave your suggestions in comments) We still love to watch movies, and do that fairly often. But we've not payed a cable bill for a year!

I barely even notice it's gone anymore. Except around General Conference time, that is a bummer. So there are a few drawbacks. But, all in all, it's been a positive experience.

7 comments:

karlin said...

Wow! Good for you guys. I am actually not a big tv watcher. I have too many other things to do but it is the only way my husband winds down at night. It is nice to have help entertaining Avaree every now and then while I shower or something but I agree with you tv can be such a waste of time. There needs to be a balance. We do enjoy watching movies together after Avaree and Weston are in bed. Again, good for you... you continue to amaze me.

annek said...

Yeah...I'm so glad to hear you are TV-less too. When we moved here we (meaning me) decided not to pay for something that will just waste our time. We definitely miss it, but we actually get things done around the house at night! Thanks for the encouragement to keep it turned off.

Jacob said...

Good to hear you are enjoying the fruits of media literacy! I have been TV-free for 7 years (well, we do have one, but only watch dvd movies maybe once or twice a month) and it's true that once it's gone you wonder how people actually find time to watch it in the first place! A few of the kids I've nannied have not had TVs at all in their homes - and we're some of the brightest and most creative kids around! Thanks for sharing your experience! Yeah for the UN-plug!

Kimberly said...

I came across a slogan years ago. "Turn off TV, Turn on Life." Congrats! That's Awesome.

Beau and Rach said...

We are so with you on this one! I love not having the TV on in our home, we still have it for General Conference and we listen to music on the BYU station all the time but other than that, we try to keep if off. We feel that by keeping it off we feel the spirit in our home so much more, not that we have ever enjoyed "bad" shows but even commercials make my jaw drop sometimes and the last thing my kids need to be seeing while watching TV with us is a Victoria’s secret or steamy Carl's Junior commercial! So I will now get off my soap box and recommend the book God Wants an Powerful People by Sheri Dew, Beau and I have been reading it together and are LOVING it!

janet said...

I love it and agree with everything you said. It's not that TV is bad.. it's that it keeps us occupied and unable to do the things that will truly make us happy and our lives peaceful. Richard G. Scott says that Satan does not tempt us by trying to get us to commit tremendous sin. Instead, he occupies our time with "worthwhile" things and keeps us from doing what is absolutely essential. This is SO my problem.. and the television or movies often keep me from reading my scriptures and feeling more peace in my life. Sorry that this is the longest comment ever, but I have really seen a difference after not having any media for a week. I have really felt the Christmas Spirit during the SILENCE... which is all about peace, joy and love!

Oh, and good books. My husband and I also read Angels and Demons together. I have a ton to recommend.. Anything by C.S. Lewis is SO neat and makes for such good conversation. Also, I love The Bonds That Make Us Free (really a relationship book..) but Novels.. hmm. Have you read Jane Eyre? The best love story EVER! I am brainstorming an action packed one for your hubby... just in case he's not ready for mushy stuff yet.

Whoa! Sorry about the 9 page comment. You are such a good mom/wife, Tristie!

Anonymous said...

Props to Janet on Jane Eyre! That is my favorite book! "These is My Words" is #2.
We don't have cable either and I love it! (However, we still get PBS and the local channels with our rabbit ears.)