5/13/08

Mother's Day 2008


Loved all the "Happy Mother's Day"s and hugs from my kids today. And a big huge thank you to my hero, Dax, who not only made breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but took the baby for a drive so I could shut my eyes for a bit. I love you four with all my heart!

In my 6 years as a Mother, I am constantly analyzing and evaluating my role. I have come to know that Motherhood has the most specialized yet most wide ranging job requirements of any other job I know of. And their are no real classes that are required before you become a Mother, it is all on-the-job training and comes with the steepest learning curve I've ever encountered.

Besides loving, caring, nurturing, and providing the basic life-sustaining needs to their children, Mothers are:

Creative- how many different fun ways have we come up with to get our kids to take a bite of food, put on their clothes, clean up their toys, or do their chores?
Physically Fit- Moms can hold their babies for hours on end (longer than dad can) chase and catch a straying toddler in a store, in sacrament meeting, or before they run into the street. We play tag, give underdogs and piggy back rides, carry sleeping children from the car to their beds, and dance with our children. We are constantly "lifting, twisting, and bending."

Teachers- Moms teach the obvious things...walking, using a spoon, and using the toilet. They also teach their kids to dress themselves, sweep the floor, organize their toys, brush their teeth, make their bed, and manage money. They teach their kids table manners, counting, colors, letters, numbers. They teach of God and Jesus Christ and Their Plan for us. They teach by example how to live, to make good choices, to treat other people, to serve, to be positive, and most of all to love.

Mediators- I now know through blogging that other people's kids really do fight with each other and throw tantrums and all that fun stuff. Helping our children (or ourselves) reconcile differences is something moms do every day.

Mathmeticians- Brand A Diapers cost 21.99 and have 108 diapers in the box. Brand B diapers cost $16.99 and have 92 diapers in the box. Brand B is clearly the better deal!

Cooks- it doesn't matter how gourmet she thinks she is, Mom is the first person kids go to when they are hungry.

Moms are excellent at:
Meeting Deadlines- who can build a book report display by next Tuesday, bake 3 dozen cookies for pack meeting tomorrow night, prepare an FHE lesson by tonight, and get a child fed and out the door for school on time with all their necessary signed papers and library books in 10 minutes? A mom, that's who!
Multi-tasking- Moms can give spelling tests, saute onions, and shovel baby food all at the same time!

Mommies do a LOT, obviously. But the coolest thing is that they care so much about what they do and who they do it for, that they are willing to do it for no monetary compensation, and many times minimal recognition (thank goodness for Mother's Day and wonderful, encouraging husbands). Moms have to be tough to stand up and show the world that children and families are the most important thing there ever was. And they do it with class, grace, and a dang tasty batch of chocolate chip cookies.

To all the Mothers out there (especially my own): I salute you!

6 comments:

val said...

Oh Tristie you said it so well, again! Love you!!

Jaedon Flora said...

Love you so much Tristie - You are an amazing PERSON and a MOM! I loved this post. xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I love ya girl! You are such a great mommy! I salute you too!

janet said...

You are the mom of the year! seriously.. we can all learn from you! Happy mother's day!

Katrina said...

You said it all about mothers! It's amazing that with all of my short-comings and weaknesses that I'm still expected to do all of those things! Seriously, I love being a mom and balancing a busy life with kids. It's the greatest. Tristie - thanks for your example of being a fun, positive, wonderful mother. You are amazing!!

Kimberly said...

You are a great example of a wonderful mom. You're one of those "Mother's who Know" that was talked about in conference.