"Mom, can you bring me some chapstick? My lips are so dry and they are cracking."
Since I was already headed out, the grocery store is a block from the school, and it reminded me of Napoleon Dynamite, I took the girl some chapstick. I would have never called my Mom to bring me chapstick at school. I don't know if I am glad Preslie thought to do that or not. I digress..
So I grilled 16 hamburgers and took 11 of them to my neighbors. It is our pediatrician, his wife, and their 9 children. The Doc has seen every one of my kids once or twice in the past 2 weeks including a couple of house calls. He is the nicest guy and a such a competent doctor. (He is also the guy who saved Preslie last year when she had pneumonia.) I wanted to return the favor.
Then I fed my own kids and a friend and then watched my next door neighbors' little girl while they went to the cannery. She is such an easy going darling kid and it wasn't hard at all, but still I am glad I could help out.
I like doing things for people. It lifts my spirits in the best way. A lot of times I feel like I don't ever do much for others but then I think to myself, Hel-LO! A baby is a full-time service project as are toddlers and even older children. I do find joy in being a mother and a wife and I need to recognize the service I do in those capacities and probably find more ways to serve those in my home.
So whether it's bringing a child chapstick or doing something you know will make your Man happy, those little things will make YOU happy too!

Edit: This is Dax and I am adding this link
3 comments:
You can never let Preslie live that down! After she watches N.D. she is gonna die!!
Whew!!! Mama's need a little service done for them sometimes, too. You're wonderful Tristie. I always say, "If you're feeling low, do something nice for someone else. It works every time!"
Tristie- this is val's sister ali. I peek in on your blog every blue moon since I think you are such a cute mom! You are clever, and real, and you crack me up at the same time! (Hope you don't think I'm a total psycho stalker or something-I just find you relatable). I especially liked your comments about motherhood being a constant service project- good reminder!
Post a Comment