2/15/11

Feeling the LOVE ! ! !


We had such a fun Valentine's Day! I woke up to the kids chatting excitedly about all the hearts that were taped on the walls and "have you seen the kitchen?, it's crazy!" I was pleased that my 10 minute decorating the night before had them so wowed.

I let my husband sleep in while I got up and made heart pancakes with fresh strawberries for breakfast, fed the kids and got Preslie and Hunter out the door.

After Dax left for work, I got ready and made sugar cookies and frosting to take to Preslie's class Valentine's party. I dropped Mack off at my neighbor's and Quinn and I headed to the school. Preslie and her classmates were excited. I am glad I thought to bring my frosting bags to spell the kids' names on their cookies. They all wanted their name in cursive. I had fun helping my friend Lana with the class party and seeing all the people that Preslie talks about everyday. Quinn was an angel and after the party, we grabbed Hunter and headed home to start our sugar-induced comas.

It is tradition that you dump all the Valentines on the floor and start eating the candy as fast as you can until it is all gone. I told Preslie and Hunter to be careful because when I was in second grade, I did that same thing on Valentine's day and when I went to bed, I puked conversation hearts all night long. I can vividly remember that night and I have been careful never to repeat my sugar overdose.

The kids and I got some valentines ready for some of our neighborhood friends- kids and adults alike- and set out to deliver them the way I did when I was a kid: by putting them on the doorstep, knocking and running away. Apparently my neighborhood was the only one who did it that way because my husband didn't do that as a child and I've never heard of anyone else doing it either. I think it is one of my favorite Valentine's Day memories. Picking the right Valentine card, planning your escape plan and hiding spot, sneaking up, placing the valentine, knocking, and running like heck.

But let me tell you, the kids LOVED it. We all had the best time. We had one close CLOSE call when we delivered cookies to Hunter's primary teachers. He and I were hiding in their garage and their son pulled up with his buddy and came walking right past us. Talk about adrenaline rush! The kids did get caught by one of our fun neighbors but it just adds to the excitement for both giver and receiver.

Dax came home and we ate crock pot roast, baked potatoes, peas and homemade bread for dinner. Then we played and wrestled and laughed our guts out on the floor. A couple of sugar-induced meltdowns (of course) and then into bed.

And what do you think happened in the middle of the night? Preslie woke with a stomach ache and ended up puking and staying home from school the next day. She can't say I didn't warn her.

1 comment:

moi said...

HAhaha! like mother, like daughter?