1/31/10

scripture bag tutorial


the Preslie Bag & the Tristie Bag
If you requested instructions from me on how to make a scripture bag, read on. Please note that I am not an experienced seamstress and I sometimes make things up as I go, so don't count these instructions as pure fact. It is just my way of doing it and your own creativity gives you license to do the same.
You will need:
  • your scriptures (and any other things you want to make room for in your bag)
  • fabric - 1/2 - 3/4 of a yard depending on size of bag you're making. I used 2 fat quarters for Preslie's bag. I used some old curtains for my bag (perfect because the fabric is heavy). If you are using a regular weight fabric, I recommend getting some interfacing to beef up the thickness of the bag to make it strong and sturdy. If not, for sure make a liner. To make a liner with a contrasting fabric, get 3/8 yard of 2 different kinds of fabric.
  • mat and rotary cutter OR ruler and scissors
  • iron and ironing board

1. Measure your scriptures and any other books you want in your bag and add 1 1/4 inches to each measurement to determine how large to make your pieces. Preslie's scriptures are about 7 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 5 1/4. Adding 1 1/4 inches to each side will give me the following measurements for the Preslie bag: I wanted my Relief Society manual to fit in my bag, so I measured my scriptures together with my manual and then added an extra 1 1/2 inches to all measurements so I would have plenty of room if I needed to carry more papers, a diaper, etc.

If you are going to make a liner for the bag (a fabric piece for the inside- like I did on Preslie's), add 2 inches to the height for the liner pieces only. So the liner measurements for the Preslie bag would look like this:
2. Measure and cut out the pieces. You can make pattern pieces out of paper, pin them to the fabric and then cut. Or use a rotary cutter and ruler. If you are using a regular cut of fabric that has the fold, then it works perfect because you will need 2 of each piece (except for the bottom of the bag, but you can use the extra for the lining or just to double it up for extra strength, which I recommend). Cut fabric for straps by deciding how long you want them and then adding 2 inches to the length. Cut them 4 times the width you want them to be when they're finished. I made Preslie's just handle length and mine shoulder strap length. I cut Preslie's 4 inches wide and 14 inches long. I wanted my straps an inch wide and about 25 inches long so I cut pieces 4 inches wide and 27-28 inches long. Always cut more length than you need, you can always trim off some before you sew the straps on. (Don't look at the ones in the pic, I cut longer ones later which I used.)
3. Decide if you want to add trim or pockets and add those at this point.

Cut trims, pin and sew in the desired location before sewing the bag together. I wanted mine to be funky and eclectic. When adding trims, remember your half inch seam allowances around the sides and bottom and your hem or liner that will be sewn to the top. (The top of my bag was already hemmed --from the curtain I used--so I could sew my flower lace close to the top edge.)


For outside pockets, measure the item you want in the pocket and add enough room for the thickness of the item plus an inch for seams. Iron edges back (toward the wrong side), hem the top edge of the pocket and sew pocket on staying close to the edge... (this must be done before bag is sewn together).

For inside pockets, use the same measurements for the side pattern piece and then press down and hem the top of the pocket piece to the desired height. Then sew the pocket piece to the side piece. This kind of pocket can be sewn to the liner (or the inside of the bag if you are not doing a liner) while you are sewing the bag together OR you can baste it (sew it on using a loose stitch) to the side piece beforehand, either way. I know we haven't started sewing the bag together yet, but the inside pocket will look something like this when it is done:4. Once the trim and/or pockets are in place, we start sewing the bag together. Start with the front panel and right side panel. Place RIGHT sides together and stitch the two pieces together using a 1/2 inch seam allowance (4/8 is the same thing). Press seams flat with the little inside flaps to one side or another, not down the middle.

Then stitch the back panel and the left side panel together. Or the back panel to the right side panel, doesn't matter. Just sew the 4 sides together and press seams flat each time.

5. Sew on the bottom piece. This is tricky but pins are your friend and patience is your friend. Just line up the pieces as best you can and when you approach a corner, stop about a half inch away from the edge and turn the project and sew down the next side. It's ok if it is not perfect (mine wasn't); it's the bottom anyway! You can always pick it out and start again until you get the hang of it, if you want. Once you get the bottom sewn on, it is time to get started on sewing the liner (step 5a) OR hemming the top of your bag (step 5b).

5a. If you are going to be adding a liner in your bag, repeat steps 4 and 5 for the liner. Once you have the liner sewn together, place it inside the bag with wrong sides together (so that all seams from both outside and liner are touching together and not showing). The top of the liner will be longer than the top of the outside bag. That is good. You then want to mark with pins where you are going to fold and press the liner so that it creates a trim around the outside of your bag. You can press it down .25 of and inch and then place it back inside the bag and mark with pins where to press it down again to fold snuggly over the top of the bag. Once you have it pressed, place the liner in the bag and sew around the top to attach the liner to the bag. Sew close the the edge of the liner fabric.
5b. If you are going to hem the top (and not add a liner), turn bag right side in, and fold and press raw edges of the top of the bag .25" all the way around. Then fold and press the edge down another .5" or .75" all the way around. Stitch around it close to the edge. Turn right side out and admire...
Almost done, and looking good!

6. For the straps or handles, fold strap pieces down the middle and press.

Unfold and then fold one side into the middle so it almost touches the crease you just made. Press.
Fold the other side toward the middle, just like you did, and press.
Now fold entire strap down the middle along the first crease you made, making sure the two side flaps are folded in together. Stitch down both sides of the strap. Repeat all of step 6 for the second strap and you'll have 2 that look something like this:
7. Fold raw ends of straps under about 1 inch and press. Then pin the straps to the outside or inside of the bag (based on your preference). Make sure they are not twisted. Stitch them on securely like in the picture below...

or you can sew them onto the inside of the bag like this:


Now, you are done!

Enjoy,
Tristie

8 comments:

Ashley said...

I love the ribbon with the clasp on yours. Genius! Girl, it's like you are bringing scrapbooking to sewing, I love it.

Ashley said...

Whoa! And I just caught that picture of Pres on your sidebar. How old is she?!?!?

K said...

Ahhh!!!These are too darling! I have been wanting to make myself a new scripture bag for months now. If only I had the time and talent to do it!. So impressed with your all you mad homemaking skills. Maybe some of them will rub off on me when I see you in a couple of weeks!

RaeLynn said...

Oh you are out of control. Look how awesome you are!! Honestly, sewing is one of those things that I REALLY want to learn how to do...I love how creative you are. It just oozes from you.

Love the letter between Hunter and Dax.

Anonymous said...

Now that's some serious sewing information. Kudos to you and all your awesome projects.

Tiffany said...

One day I will be as talented and motivated as you are. The bag is darling!

Sant Family said...

Thanks for the tutorial and seriously, that is the sweetest note between Dax and Hunter. I love it!

Jaedon Flora said...

OK - I just think everything about this post is amazing:

1. That you haven't complained earlier about the weather

2. Your creativity

3. Presley getting to go to district

4. Hunter can write? Holy smokes

5. You have a husband home and everyone is well.

6. You hit a dog? You poor thing

7. I love you