Let's make a cute little cotton play skirt, shall we?
While cleaning out my kids' closets I found these shorts that are too short for Preslie now..
And while organizing my storage room boxes I came across this enormous old, ugly t-shirt that was screaming "D.I." or "cleaning rags" ...
So I decided to put both to good use.
First, I cut the bottom off the shorts and threw away the crotch thingy. This would be the waistband of the skirt.
Then I cut the bottom off the t-shirt so I could use it as the bottom of the skirt and use the hem already there! I used a ruler to make my cut somewhat even. I cut off about 6 or 7 inches all the way across. I wasn't too precise because it is just a play skirt and I wasn't sure if this was going to work or not anyway...
Next, I adjusted the length on my sewing machine to the highest number so it would sew a really loose stitch (more room between each stitch) and sewed a .5" seam around the top of my t-shirt strip. Then I pulled the threads on the outside and slid the fabric along the inside thread to gather the fabric until it was the same size around as the bottom of shorts opening.
Putting right sides together, I pinned the two pieces together making sure that the outside seams of the shorts and the outside seams of the t-shirt matched up on the sides. Then I sewed another .5" seam around to join the two pieces (adjusting my length back to a normal stitch, not the loose one I had it on earlier)
AND...
Is anyone else thinking what I'm thinking? Gathering a whole bunch of bright colored t-shirts and making a funky multi-tiered skirt? I thought so.
7 comments:
my oh my! That's awesome. of course you're thinking of sewing bright shirts together to make a funky skirt... I still remember seeing your closet it high school. It was a RAINBOW (all organized in colors) so funky and bright.
Amazing talent. So impressed you think of things like this. I would of course just sent them both to the DI:) Can't wait to see the funky multi-layered skirt I'm sure you're going to be cranking out soon. I'm inspired to do something creative.
So cute!!!! I wish I knew how to sew so that this wasn't in Japanese to me, or that you just lived closer and could do it for me :) that would solve everything!
I think if you get anymore talented and clever I am going to have to slap you!!! You are seriously so freakin cool!!!
Tristie - you are my hero!
yep. thats what i was thinking!
You are seriously amazing!
Post a Comment