7/20/10

outdoor backyard summer fun thrown together children's theater



My awesome neighbor threw together a children's theater last week and invited my kids to be apart of it. They started practicing Tuesday and performed 3 darling plays on Saturday evening in her backyard. How fun is that! The plays were fairytale spin-offs.

The first one was "Falling for Rapunzel". The Prince would ask Rapunzel to throw down her hair and each time she would mistake what he said and throw something crazy down. The last time he asked her to throw down her mane and she threw down her Maid (which was played by Preslie). The Prince and Preslie fell in love and rode off on his steed.

Hunter was a tree in that play. A really wiggly tree.


The second play was "Bubba the Cowboy Prince" in which Hunter and Preslie were the main characters, Bubba and Miz Lurleen. The story was a spin-off of Cinderella. Bubba was the nice, hard-working cowboy who had a Wicked Stepdaddy and 2 mean stepbrothers that ordered him around.



Miz Lurleen was the most beautiful and wealthy Cowgirl around who held a ball and you guessed it, one Do-Si-Do with Bubba and it was true love. The clock struck midnight, a muddy boot was left at the scene, Miz Lurleen searched the town to find her love and the rest was history.



The last play was "Waking Beauty". It was hilarious as 3 fairies (one of them Preslie) tried to tell 2 inattentive princes how to wake Princess Beauty (played by our good friend Sierra). Hunter was a crocodile in the moat in this play.


What fun the kids had and what a lot of work my friend put in working with 13 hyper kids, gathering costumes, making sets, and putting on a great show in 5 days!

9 comments:

Accuracy Sports said...

I would like to get tickets for one of these plays someday. Please, let me know how and where to get them. Money is no object.

Meesha said...

What a great idea for summer! This would definitely get them away from the TV and into some fun. I'll have to remember this.

K said...

Ok, someone is way creative and has a LOT of fun costumes. This looks like it was such a great creative use of summer time. I would totally come and watch these plays!

janet said...

This is the cutest thing ever! I used to do this with my siblings and neighbors--- I doubt we had scripts or costumes, but it was SO MUCH FUN!

Is there any way your friend would want to share her scripts? I would totally take something like this on for the kids in my neighborhood.

Unknown said...

That is awesome!!!! Your kids are so cute.
I'm going to use this in YW! Your neighbors rock!

meridee said...

Cute idea, cute kids, isn't it great to have a nice neighborhood that plays together? Fun summer.

Ashley said...

This is so something my mom would have done when we were kids. And so something that overwhelms me at the mere thought :) How cute!! What a fun neighbor to have. We love the Rapunzel story around here. Well, maybe mostly me. I love kids stories that are witty.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, talented neighbor. What a fun, thoughtful idea. She's a winner. The kids were darling. Looks like a blast. Sorry I couldn't have seen the plays.

moi said...

What a cool neighbor. This is awesome experience for school plays in the years ahead. I second Janet, I want to know if we can get a copy of the scripts!!!