9/11/09

The LONG way to Cafe' Rio.

My sympathy for Preslie quickly turned to empathy when the stomach flu knocked me down all the next day. I cancelled cub scouts. I neglected everything. Preslie took care of our 1-year-old. I guess that is a fair trade for cleaning up her puke yesterday? I don't know, but I appreciated her help. I was not able to get up (sitting or standing) until about 8pm at which time I fed my starving children some dinner and then put them to bed.



Well after the lame couple of days around here, and my husband being gone, I thought it a great plan to get everyone out of the house. I opted to go to Vernal where a newly built CAFE RIO just opened and get me some decent food. (The kids were of course getting Wendy's. They simply aren't mature enough to appreciate Cafe Rio's cuisine.) While I was there, I planned to hit Smith's and stock up on their $1.39/lb chicken and then gas up the car with the fuel rewards I'd earn. My digital readout thingy in my car, told me 66 miles 'til empty, so it would all work out perfectly. (that last sentence was forshadowing, btw)

I was well over half way there when my car started to sputter and I knew I was running out of gas. I pulled off the highway and considered my options. I had no phone and no husband. Here was my prayer: "Heavenly Father, please help someone nice to stop and help us." I sat there, then decided to get out of the car so I looked more desperate. I contemplated putting my thumb up, but just could NOT bring myself to do it. I was embarrassed just thinking about it. I already felt like the biggest DUFUS for A: running out of gas, and B: standing on the side of the highway.

I said another prayer so I would know what to do. A minute later, a white truck drove into view and a feeling that was unmistakeably the Holy Ghost told me, "That person is going to help you." The white truck drove on by and I didn't think anything more of it.

Two minutes later, that white truck comes around the corner in the opposite direction and pulls off. The man driving asked me if I needed help. He said after he passed, he felt so bad and turned back around. Well, turned out he had a gas can with him and as he went to go fill it for me, the bishop of my last ward (and his wife and their 6 kids) recognized me and pulled over and stayed with me until he got back.

Olan Divine was such a nice guy. (How cool that his last name is Divine?) He not only saved me and my kids, but would not accept payment for the gas at all. He told me to keep it and go buy my babies a candy bar. I was so grateful for him and his kindness that I had to do something. So I made up my mind to buy the dinner of the car behind me at Wendy's. I hope the woman in that car does something kind for someone else.

I ended up not getting Cafe Rio after all, but obviously everything turned out ok, because I am at home with 40 pounds of chicken in my fridge, sitting at my computer typing this.

And I am so grateful for my Father in Heaven who I can always call upon, no cell phone needed! He knows us and hears our prayers. HOW COOL to be able to call upon Diety anytime we want!
I am really thankful for good people and I know there are a lot of them out there. I am thankful to know that there is a God in Heaven who loves us.

I can't wait to go to Cafe Rio.

Next time, I'll get a babysitter, bring my husband, OH, and fill up before I leave town.

12 comments:

Accuracy Sports said...

I'm sorry for you and at the same time I have tears in my eyes. Not everyone is worthy of so much Divine help. Bless you always in all ways.

Kelli said...

Thanks for sharing this! I know that we all get caught up in our modern technology sometimes we forget who is really there to help. You are the best!

Cori and Dusty said...

What a wonderful post! Thank you.

Ashley said...

Best story of the day!

K said...

So sorry you were so sick. It is the worst thing being a Mom and sick. If I ever get to create a world, that will simply be against the rules:) So what an inspiring story. It always gives me new hope in the world when I hear stories like this. You know they happen every day. Every day good people just helping someone out with something simple. I bet the woman behind you at Wendy's was grateful for you. Also a huge testimony to the fact that no matter how small our needs are Heavenly Father knows them and answers our prayers. Hope you are feeling better.

RaeLynn said...

Trist Hist, I just love your blog. I'm so glad we're friends. You are so real...and I really appreciated this post.

Katrina said...

How great is it that there are good people out there to help when needed. It's not bad to have Heavenly Father on your side either, right!

I love that you paid it forward - you're an amazing person!

HeRoosSheRoos said...

I'm so glad everything worked out. You are awesome!

kkoyle said...

isn't live just crazy sometimes and who knew there was a cafe rio in vernal!

Jaedon Flora said...

Tristie - Has anyone told you that you are a good writer? I loved this post. It is just darling. I'm sorry you had to be a dufus on the side of the highway to entertain me, but I do love it. AND I LOVE YOU!!

Sant Family said...

I think that is SO amazing!

Okay, it totally stinks that you ran out of gas, but look at how many lives are better for it? And for your writing about it.

You really did a fabulous job with this!

Kimberly said...

Wow! I haven't visited your blog for quite awhile. Looks like you have had a very busy month. So many comments, so little time. How about I just sum it up by saying, "I love reading your blog."