I returned from a hunting trip in WY to a sick family surviving on Campbell's soup, cold cereal (not just for breakfast either mind you) and PB & J sandwiches. I intervened and started my family on a proper recovery diet. Here is the menu for the last 3 days since I have been home.
Mac Daddy Mac and Cheese (thank you Guy Fieri)
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
2 cups sharp cheddar shredded
1 cup jalepeno jack cheese shredded
1 lb cooked rotini pasta
3 cloves garlic
2 shallots
1 tsp. thyme
3 slices bacon
½ C bread crumbs
1 T butter
2 T fresh parsley
roast shallots and garlic drizzled in olive oil in foil pouch in 350 degree oven 15-20 min.
cook bacon in pan and set aside, saving drippings
sauté roasted garlic and shallots in bacon drippings and add 1-2 tbs flour to make a roux
add heavy cream, whole milk, and thyme and reduce by 1/3. Add shredded cheese slowly until incorporated, add cooked pasta and place in 9x13 baking dish. Melt butter, and add bread crumbs, parsley and crumbled bacon. Place bread crumb mixture on top of pasta cheese mixture and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
Mushroom Jack Fajitas (inspired by Chili’s)
3-5 boneless skinless chicken breasts, marinated in orange juice, oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, and fajita seasoning overnight, then grilled and sliced against grain.
Red and Green peppers in strips
Onion in strips
Portobello mushrooms in large slices
Shredded Monterey jack cheese
Crumbled bacon
Sauté peppers, onion, and mushrooms in hot pan with a little oil.
Add chicken and fajita seasoning
top with shredded cheese and crumbled bacon, cover to allow cheese to melt
Serve on hot flour tortillas with sour cream, salsa, and guacamole
Italian Sausage and Peppers Sandwiches
Italian link sausages
Red peppers
Fresh mushrooms
Crusty Italian bread
Provolone cheese
Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
Shredded Romano cheese
Brown Italian sausage on both sides, then slice in half length wise return to pan. Add sliced peppers and mushrooms. Drizzle with olive oil and splash with red wine, cover pan to allow veggies to steam and sausage to finish cooking. Stir occasionally until peppers and tender crisp. Season with salt and pepper, oregano, basil, etc. Serve on toasted Italian bread with provolone cheese, and top with fresh grated Romano cheese.
I think everyone is starting to feel better already.
7 comments:
Dax, I think you may get several marriage proposals from this post! These recipes look delicious! I can hardly wait to try them out.
I've been sick for 10 days now so I relate to the diet listed at the beginning of the post. Too bad you don't live closer, I could use some yummy food! I'm sure that would make me feel better. Nice job taking care of the fam, the world needs more men like you:)
Umm, are you really related to my Jeramie? He can rock a box of Mac and Cheese but I'm pretty sure thats his limit. I am drooling just reading this post.
Mel told me about this so I had to check it out. Will you cook like that for us if we come visit? If so, we need to plan a trip asap. ;)
Ummmm..... being sick at your house sounds delicious!!
Thanks Dax for saving my sis!! Love ya!
Well, I certainly feel better just reading the recipes...and I feel hungry, too.
Post a Comment