1/31/09

set our apartment on fire -by Billy Joel

buying lightbulbs, insulation, finding breakers- such frustration
making meals, sleepy children, stone work in the cold

tile sawing, sleeky railing, all our budget efforts failing
Upstairs, downstairs, Grandpa's getting old

Grandma made some snuggly booties, need more bonding time with cuties
caulking/painting, vanities, Mommy's losing sanity

climbing baby, daily reading, Grandpa's thumb is always bleeding
carpet schedule, tile grout, patience is the key


CHORUS:
Set our apartment on fire
It's time to move on
Tell the ward we're gone
Set our apartment on fire
I cannot hide it,
I am getting excited

smoke detectors- no luck, flourescent lightbulbs really suck
loosing screws, broken fan, tired volunteers

cabinet handles, hardi backer, you should see Mack eat a cracker
daily progress, perserverance, blood sweat and tears

saw dust, snow boots, pre-school snack, stinky toots
library books, Jubilee, man on doorstep selling fruit

plugs and switches, lights turn on, KSL: dishwasher's gone
Questar, electric bills, heating 2 homes really kills

CHORUS

Basin Builders, Home Depot, Ikea and Contempo
shopping lists, return this, 85 Lowes trips

fascia and soffit, gun-selling profit
towel bars, stair treads, someone get the kids in bed

interest rates, inauguration, economy speculation
Carpet comes on Thursday, what else do I have to say?

CHORUS

Rocket and Sally Ann, "the skunk ate my girlfriend"
Buffalo, shovel snow, toilet overflows

wood putty, slide-in range, call the doctor, diaper change
Rally X and Pac Man, Mack falls on his can


Taylor moves, grabber screws, look at Dad on the news
Mini Wheats, Lagoon Street, Baby Mya-- so sweet

Veggie Tales, grocery store, Grandpa sleeping on the floor
baby gives the bleach a pour, I can't take it anymore

Set our apartment on fire
It's time to move on
Tell the ward we're gone
Set our apartment on fire
Nobody will miss it
and the landlord can kiss it...

11 comments:

Kimberly said...

I think you are too creative for your own good. I loved your song.

Sant Family said...

Very talented! Very good! I especially love the landlord can kiss it! Home stretch now ...

K said...

That has to be one of the most creative posts I've ever read. Absolutely darling. I can only imagine how excited you are getting to move into your beautiful new home. Seriously exciting!

Jaedon Flora said...

Tristie - It is so not fair that all mom's creativeness went to you and Trina! UGH. Just joking. You are so funny and great. I hope that post goes down in history!

Anonymous said...

We are all thankful for you and all you are and all you do.
Grandpa

ZyAubRinaSon said...

Wow, I can't touch that! Not even close. Great Post! love it and love you! Miss you a ton Trina

Dave and Ashley Gay said...

That's great! Love it!

mom of seven said...

Wow Tristie! That is some poetry. I love it. I don't want ya to move across town. I'm gonna miss ya, it just won't be the same. :(
Love ya tons!

Anonymous said...

How are you so clever!!!

RaeLynn said...

You are a genius. I seriously can't believe you wrote that. But yet...I can. I love it.

Tiffany said...

Too funny, and too many memories :) I cant wait for the big day! Good luck with the FINAL packing!!