6/16/09

Oquirrh Mountain and Bingham Canyon

My sister from Idaho came to Salt Lake this weekend so I could not pass up a chance to see her and her kiddos. We took our kids (except the twins) and Wendy (their foreign exchage student from Hong Kong) to see the Oquirrh Mountain Temple. Both of our husbands were working so my dad stepped in to help us manage the kids. I had him stash gummy bears in his fanny pack and throughout the tour of the temple, he kept handing them to Mack. I loved seeing the beauty and feeling the peace of the temple. I hope my kids can get a glimpse of how neat it is there.

After the temple, we grabbed the twins and went to Kennecott Copper mine. It was both my sister's and my FIRST time there and we grew up 8 miles from this place. Man, we've been missing out; this place is so cool. Best museum, visitors center, educational film, and gift shop I've been to in a while.
Mack was totally digging the diggers and dump trucks. Hunter was into the scale models of the operation, as well.
THEN, we went to my favorite park as a child (and it still is my favorite), Copperton Park. It did not dissappoint.
Playing tag is the best at Copperton Park because of the giant mountain in the middle and the huge tires to run and chase on. My 62-year-old dad played too, and out-ran my speedy nephew Jaedon. My kids thought they were so tricky hiding up inside the tires but I told them that is where I used to hide as a kid.

Holy Cow, my sister is always on her toes and is always ready for the next adventure. You would NEVER know she is operating on 1 kidney, and had cancer a few months ago. She amazes me with her ability to keep up with her 6 busy kids and their foreign exchange student, cooking from scratch all the time, supporting her hubby in the bishopric of their ward, and drawing plans for a new house. She truly is on of my role models in life.
We had a fun fun time; we will be back again next weekend for my class reunion!



6 comments:

Amelia said...

Who DOESN'T love copperton park?
Ahh the memories, and it hasn't changed a bit.
Give my brother a hello next weekend! He'll be at the reunion!

K said...

I've never been to that park before. We were going to go to the mine when we went to the open house, but my niece got sick and we didn't have a place to change our clothes before we went to the museum. It's on my list of adventures I'd like to take with K. Looks like the weather cooperated for you guys though:)

jason and andrea said...

I love that park! I used to go there as a kid, too. It really is one of the best parks! I haven't ever been to the mines, though it looks like a cool thing to do! I recently discovered your blog and I love it! You have such a fun family! I hope you don't mind if I check it out every once in a while:)

Jaedon Flora said...

Tristie you are way too sweet to me. I love you! I had such a good time. I need to take blogging, parenting, scrapbooking, photography, house building, decorating, and fun lessons from YOU! xoxoxo your sis

Kimberly said...

:) I can't help but smile. Haul trucks, giant tires and dirt are our everyday life right now. But I wish this area would seriously consider a museum, or a cool park like that. Live up what you've got don't you think. Thanks for your comment for Josh's birthday. He was really touched by all the friends who shared their thoughts.

Andrew said...

Sister? Floor plans? Talk to me.