My first reaction when I see a salesman on my porch or get one on the phone is to put up a wall and try and turn them down nicely ASAP. I don't want to waste their time and I don't want them to waste mine.I was not prepared for who showed up at my door Tuesday afternoon. I tried to put up my wall but was thwarted at every attempt. He was the most fantastic salesmen I have ever met. I wanted to say no, but I couldn't! It was weird. He was powerful. And I kept wanting to invite him to dinner. But instead I got a $40 bottle of wonder cleaner.
My husband laughed when I told him. We had the following conversation:
tristie: "spend less time scrubbin', more time lovin'"
that was the line that sold me, i believe
dax: crazy, you are funny. I can't believe you bought it.
tristie: i know
i am usually so good to shut them down
dax: I guess he hit you at just the right time, and had just the right skills to get you sold
tristie: true. no one can be a brick wall all the time. he cracked me.
dax: you are pretty sturdy usually, but it is good to know that you are human. It is usually me that ends up taking the telephone surveys
tristie: ha ha.
dax: I have really worked to try to get meaner and more aggressive with telemarketers
that is horrible, but true
tristie: i take the nice, but firm approach. they are trying to make a living and i respect that
dax: I usually just say 'no thanks' and hang up before they get a chance to give me their whole spiel
tristie: you are such a softy. no confrontations for you!
the confrontation itself is what will crack you.
dax: i really do hate confrontation
I know as a missionary, i did like getting the whole spiel out there before getting rejected
tristie: interesting. i think in anything you are trying to sell, it is totally about selling yourself.
dax: yep
some people have it, others don't
Well Jacob totally had it. And even now when I think of all the other (better) things that $40 could have bought me, a part of me wanted to buy the $100 kit. And I really wish he could have stayed for dinner...
8 comments:
Mike bought the $100 kit last year when they came strollin' into town.
Let me repeat myself.....
MIKE bought it, she was that good!
I love this!!! In an odd way though, it totally makes me more afraid of salesmen.
You'll have to let us know if the product is actually worth the $40. In a strange sort of way I admire salespeople that can get out there and sell their product. I totally couldn't do it. I completely lack the self-confidence:)
There are some abandon indian lands for sale just outside Flagstaff. It is so pristine even the indians couldn't find anything to do with it. It is for sale and after the big one in California and the San Andres fault collapses -- it will be beach front property! I can get it for you for a song and $40,000 an acre. The water will come later.....
I've done all this too. I even went to the extreme of asking them to use a little cleaner from the bottle they were selling me so I'd be sure it wasn't sugar water or anything. It did the trick, which sold me!
I'm really wishing he would have stayed for dinner so there would be more to the story!
I caved over this product too! THE BEST salesman I've ever seen or heard! I totally wanted to keep him. And after 3 years of using the cleaner as shelf filler in storage I broke it out a couple weeks ago and LOVE. IT. I wish I'd bought more...
Hey I read your post and wanted to say that I love their cleaning product and have been using it for years! Your family is darling!!! you guys rock.
LMAO!
I wonder what would happen if that adorable salesman stopped by the house of an army interrogator...probably run away crying.
Part of our homework in interrogator school was to stop by the local car dealership and annoy the heck out of the local salesmen. I heard one of us even sweettalked his way to learning the entire security system of a local Wal-Mart.
Anyway, back to your story. Is the product really that good? Is there a website? Your stories make me laugh.
Post a Comment