4/15/09

unwanted guests

guest #1: baby in my bed. I have never been able or even wanted to sleep with my kids. When Preslie was a baby, another mother told me just to pull her in bed to nurse in the middle of the night. I could never pull it off. I didn't like the feeling of half-sleeping in an uncomfortable position and wake up with parts hanging out, cold, wet, and a kinked neck/back/arm, etc. I much prefer to get up and take care of the child's needs then return to bed. Alone. This held true for Mack last week when he would scream every night for up to an hour at a time and would wake up the second I put him back in his crib. So I got desperate. Half-sleep at that point was better than no sleep. But there is just no room in the bed for another person. Especially when the baby sleeps like this:
guest #2: WIND
No one would believe the WIND we've been having in town. Happens every Spring. SO annoying. I called and invited a girl in my neighborhood to come eat lunch at the park with us one day. It was breezy for the first 5 minutes and then all of a sudden I looked to the South and saw a HUGE wall of wind/dust/debris coming in our direction and shouted, "Cover your eyes!" Luckily I was holding Mack so I could protect him from blowing away. My bike and bike trailer didn't fare so well and got blown across the grass. My friend's kids got blasted and ended up crying. We finally made it home, she in her car and I on my bike SLOWLY pedaling INTO the wind...and uphill I might add. Anyway, the tumbleweeds are back.
*Mack has been to the doctor and received an antibiotic for his ear infection. Life is suddenly so much better. I don't mind the tumbleweeds so much because my husband and I can sleep in our own bed!

4 comments:

House of Hullinger said...

When my kids would come in to sleep with us, We would put them in the middle of us and then sleep so close to the child that he/she could not move and when they would ask us to scoot over we would say "We can't our bed is too small. It doesn't fit 2 people." They would then want to go back to their own bed.

House of Hullinger said...

I meant to say it doesn't fit 3 people.

Andrew said...

Only one thing I can say about the wind, it blows!


To this day I still have dust in my eyes from Iraq.

moi said...

I believe I may have been the one to give the night feeding advice...wow I love my sleep.