1/11/12

huge wall art done!

I finished my big project! I made a piece of art for the biggest wall in my house. I have lived in my home almost 3 years and have thought very hard about what to put on my big wall. I knew it had to be huge to fit the scale of the massive 9-foot-tall and 12-foot-wide wall. I have debated and shopped and discovered that art that big is very expensive. I knew I had to (and wanted to) make something instead of buy it but I wasn't sure what to make. After thinking and looking for many more months for inspiration, I finally found this rug I liked by Jonathan Adler.


My Mom helped me come up with a pattern based on this design which I traced onto my piece of mdf. Then I went to work with my jigsaw! It was so fun to cut out. It took about 3 days of cutting; I just cut for a few minutes here and there whenever I got a chance.
The weather cooperated perfectly; it has been such a warm, beautiful winter here! We are used to sub-arctic temps and many feet of snow so for it to be above freezing feels like heaven! It was nice to have mild weather for when I primed and painted this bad boy. After I sanded the rough edges a bit, I used a spray primer- KILZ, sanded a bit more using 220-grit sandpaper, and then I used Krylon Leather Brown spray paint to finish. It took quite a few cans of both primer and paint to cover the whole thing. It turned out great!

This was a lot of fun and I am so happy to have something big and fun on my wall now!

12 comments:

Abbey said...

Way to go Trist! I LOVE it and I think it fits your house perfectly. You are one of the most talented women I know! Excited to see you guys soon. Love ya!

Sant Family said...

Tristi ... seriously ... that is the coolest thing EVER!

janet said...

love. creating is the best way to cultivate happiness. I think that's your secret.

Ashley said...

you rock my world, tristie mangus!

val said...

i love a woman with power tools. it looks awesome tristie. way to go.

Bromo said...

Awesome Trist! I want one for our house. You're a creative cat. Love the scale, style and concept. It works perfect in that spot. I love it.

K said...

This turned out amazing!!! You are seriously so talented. I love that you can get a big vision for a project and make it turn out like you had envisioned. I'm so proud of you. Miss you tons.

Andrew said...

Very nice! It goes perfectly with the pillow on your sofa. Make sure you document your work, there may be others who want a reproduction.

Anonymous said...

BRAVO! I love it. It's an original; made by an original.

Meesha said...

That is fabulous! You are a woman of all trades...way to be, girl! I wish I had your energy; I'd be much more productive.

Tiffany said...

Wow. You never cease to amaze! Awesome job

Jaedon Flora said...

Tristie - what can I say but that you inherited 99% of Mom's creativity with a flare just your own! Thanks for only leaving the rest of us 1%

Love you and miss you and can't wait to see your creative wonders in person!

PS Can that really be Preslie? She looks like a teenager! Wow!