1/29/12

eyeball deep in family life

Holy Moly, life in our family is moving right along. Grandmas always say how much they miss it when their kids were little so I am trying to enjoy this time and completely immerse myself in it so that when I am a Grandma I won't have to say that!
I spent Saturday in Park City with some fun girls for my friend/neighbor Jaclyn's birthday. Dax had our children so I could have a relaxing day off! He has been such a huge support to me always but especially lately, he has really carried much of the load so I don't go over the edge!
Quinn is 18 months! She tries to talk all the time but her pronunciations are not accurate for 95% of the words she says. She goes to nursery like a champ (1st kid ever!) and I hope it stays that way! She loves to color (on walls), dance, stand on the toilet and sing, kiss the kids goodnight, and turn off the TV. She doesn't like to sleep in her bed. She points to herself and says "poo poo" when she thinks she should be changed. She likes the songs "Sunbeam" and Itsy Bitsy Spider. She likes the books No David, Monkeys on the Bed, and any board book with flaps or that she can turn herself. She eats most anything but is still a skinny little 21 pounder.
I took down the Christmas cards. We love all our friends and family. Especially those who send us a little love in December (or January)!...
Dax is an awesome Dad. Last Monday he called me from work and said, "Let's set up an obstacle course in the basement for our Family Night activity." The kids were so excited about it and had a blast. We all ended up lying in a pile of pillows and blankets on the floor playing our family's made up game of "Is this a Real Song or a Fake Song?" In the game, someone sings part of a song and everyone guesses if it is a real song or fake song. When we first started playing this game (it was on a car trip to Salt Lake), it was really easy to trick the kids into guessing a real song was "fake" but they are way too smart now. Dax is probably the best at this game. He has made up some DOOSEYS that we totally fall for. The lyrics of one of his songs went, "I'm dressed like a million bucks, but I ain't got a dime" of course he sang in a country accent and we totally guessed it was real and lost that round. Another of Dax's songs goes, "Our love is like a burning fire and your Dad is a fire extinguisher". We have a lot of fun trying to fool each other.
Mack has said a couple funny things lately. Today he and I were decorating for Valentine's day and I asked him, "Do you know what holiday is after Valentine's Day?"
"Kwanza?" he said.
Last night in the night Mack came into our room and told me he'd peed a little on his bed. Then he said, "I tried to breathe on it so it would dry, but it didn't work."
I never wrote about my funny Hunter story from 3 weeks ago. This story illustrates just how much he is my child. It was after school and the bus pulled up in front of my house to drop off kids but Hunter never came in. I was wondering where he was or why he never got off the bus but I kind of had a hunch. I waited for a bit before I started panicking or making calls and sure enough, I got a phone call from a school district person telling me my child was waiting at the bus garage. I grabbed Quinn and hopped in the car to pick up Hunter. The bus garage is a mile from our house so no big deal. While I drove home, Hunter told me how he was talking to a buddy, got distracted and simply didn't get off at our stop. Halfway home, our little Isuzu Rodeo started sputtering and slowing down. We were going up a hill and I floored it but it slowed right down so I pulled over to the side of the road. I must have a subconscious goal to run every vehicle of ours out of gas. I wrapped Quinn in a blanket (so glad I brought one!) and we walked the rest the way.
I definitely passed on my spacey-ness to my darling Hunter boy. I am getting so bad. On Sunday, I had to run home from church to grab something and upon my return into the chapel, Dax whispers, "Where is my car key?"
"It's on the floor by the coat rack," I whispered back. My own answer along with his look of disbelief made me laugh out loud. It wasn't until later that I could explain to Dax that while I was hanging up my coat, his key dropped on the floor and it only took until I finished hanging up my coat to forget to pick up the key. We had a good laugh.
This has been a crazy, busy, but good January. I love a new year. I love a good challenge. And I love all the sunshine we've enjoyed this winter!

2 comments:

val said...

that's it. i'm moving to roosevelt so we can be neighbors.
oh my gosh! what a hilarious post. THAT GAME! what a hoot. totally adding that to the must play with the family list.
dax and his songs will get me thru the day today ;)
glad you are living it up so you don't have to whine and whimper when you're a granny about lil kids :)
i finally took my cards down but think i'll stuff them in a cheap album. it's just so fun to look back at them.
have a happy day!

K said...

I miss you so much my friend! You make me laugh, and I need that. Don't you worry about losing your mind because oh my, mine is pretty much all gone. I do the stupidest things all the time. At least you have someone to pick up the pieces when you space it! It could be worse:)