1/13/11

fire!


If we had to have a house fire, this was the one to have. As my neighbor was helping me carry my sleeping kids across the street to her house, she asked me what else she wanted me to grab. The only thing of value I could think of were people we had in our arms.

You couldn't ask for more excitement in our quiet neighborhood. 3 fire engines, 2 police cars, and an ambulance (which no one needed, thank heavens). More and more neighbors gathered to find out what was going on and if we needed help. I am grateful that there wasn't much they could do.
A fire started inside our wall from an ineffective seal in the chimney pipe. We happen to live across the street from 2 city firefighters who we called to come take a look and they called in the rest of the team. A hole was punched into the wall from the garage side and they sprayed water into it to put out the fire. Some beams and studs need to be replaced, some sheetrock, paint, carpet pad and trim and we're back in business. Easier said than done, but all my valuables are safe and sound.
We stayed the night at our neighbors which my kids thought was so cool. Except Hunter, who pretty much slept through the whole thing. He woke up around 2am and said, "Where am I?" We came back home this morning to a mess and we are not sure where to start.
But...really we are so blessed and I know we were/are watched over and protected.

7 comments:

Chantel said...

YIKES! I am glad that everyone is okay!

val said...

whoa tristie. this is crazy. so glad everyone is safe. it does put into perspective what is really important.

Sant Family said...

Oh my gosh. Tristie! So glad that you and your loves were safe!

Ashley said...

:( I swear as I was reading this, I caught the faint smell of smoke. Sympathy smells :)

K said...

Fire scares me so much. I am so glad you were all safe. How on earth did you know that's where it was coming from? I just can't imagine how scary this was for you. Bummer about your carpet and your beautiful wall though. They are all replaceable. Sending big hugs to you. So glad you have great friends there to take care of you.

JayeCee said...

Oh my goodness Tristie!!! I'm so sorry, but sooo glad to hear everyone is okay!!

Mom of three ♥ said...

So glad you are all okay! How scary!