This is what I have been spending some of my energy on lately...
I have been struggling getting the kids to take responsibility for their rooms, clothes, and in helping the house run smoothly. I have tried to give them jobs around the house but it was not consistent enough; many days I found it was just easier to do it myself. And then I remembered my Mom. She was SO patient in teaching us from the time we were toddlers to do each household job. We had a job chart wheel and each kid had a certain job for a week and then the chart would turn and we'd do the next job for a week. I'm so so glad and grateful she took the time to teach me how to sort/wash/dry/fold 10 people's clothes and to scrub a shower and mop a floor and do dishes. It has REALLY come in handy as a Mom! So I sent out a message on Facebook for ideas on how people divide up chores in their house and my friend Kelly responded with a website called Goal For It. I checked it out and made online job charts for my kids and it's been successful in keeping all of us focused on what is expected of us, myself included. Not only do the kids know what they should be doing each day, but I know that I need to set aside time to work with them on the household job I assign them each week. Turns out, Preslie is really good at scrubbing a toilet! And Hunter has been more motivated to get dressed by himself in the morning (I put that as one of his jobs). So far, this system has worked well. I like that it is online (no paper cluttery charts do deal with), the kids can click a sticker when they complete each job so they feel cool, and they can earn points and save up for rewards that I have set up for them. Hunter redeemed 50 of his points last week for Popcorn and a movie at home. Preslie is saving up 500 points for a $20 shopping spree at her favorite store.
The best thing is that the kids are learning how to do the jobs that keep a house running and we are working as a team instead of Mom doing everything. And who wants their kids growing up not ever knowing how to run a washing machine? I've seen a grown person that really didn't know how because his Mom always washed his clothes for him.
No, no. My kids will know how. They may not love it, but they will be able to do it.
7 comments:
I am so glad that you like it! It is amazing how clicking a little sticker is so motivating! There is something very satisfying that happens when you see your kids scrub the toilet.
You go girl! "Many hands make light work" my dad always said.
What a great idea! I need to get back into that with my littler kiddos. I was so good with Ben and Rachel. Now, not so much! Thanks for the inspiration.
I thought of the whole meth deal, too, but then you have your teeth rot out and bad hair and well, heck, I'd rather just need more energy. My hair has enough problems.
Ha! Way to go. My mom definitely instilled in me a good work ethic and greater sense of responsibility by having me do chores growing up. Lots of 'em. Keep it up!
And say no to meth.
Good job! I need to check out that website!
Had to tell you. We've been using the chore charts for three days and my boys LOVE them!!! Thanks for the great tip :)
I'm SOOOO struggling with this right now. I know mine are young but I haven't expected much out of them, and I'm already starting to pay for it. It is just so much more work to teach them than to just do it myself :)
Post a Comment