1/2/15

teenage dream, eclair cream, Christmas gleam

I have a teenage daughter! Preslie is 13.

 Chili, breadsticks, a birthday cake, and eclairs were made for the celebration.

At 13, Preslie

  • is very responsible. She gets up and gets ready for school on her own and completes all her homework without being asked. 
  • doesn't like to be late to things. 
  • likes routine and things to go how she has them planned in her mind
  • fears dogs and most other animals, men, talking to strangers (especially grown-ups), 
  • likes to dance and sing
  • is a great swimmer
  • memorizes song lyrics freakishly fast
  • doodles her name on everything
  • is quickly catching up to me in height, and has surpassed me in shoe size
  • is unstoppable when she puts her mind to something: knocking out her chores, getting straight A's, earning money for something she wants, etc
  • laughs a lot and is fun and spunky to be around
  • has a spaz attack when she feels any strong emotion such as fear, lovey-dovey-ness, or frustration.
  • is a bit shy to people she doesn't know well but I always forget that about her because she has so much personality at home and with her family


We spent Christmas in southern Utah with Dax's family. 
Some of my favorite moments were:
Having a "snowball fight" in the top floor of the St. George Children's museum. It was all fun and games until my MIL went downstairs and Preslie was down there searching for us and had been for the past 30+minutes. She thought we left without her. Crappy Mom Award! How did I not notice one of my kids was missing?


Other highlights: 
  • playing games after the kids were in bed
  • good food. way too much food!
  • amazing Christmas lights displays
  • Everett Mangus
  • playing Elf hide and seek with the kids
  • having parties in the Cabana out back
  • watching the kids perform talents they came up with on the spot
  • holding baby Audrey
  • Hunter's mentos and diet coke geyser. Also when Mack took the bottle with the remainder of coke in it and spun around dumping/flinging it everywhere.
  • Quinn carrying around her coloring book she opened Christmas morning. A reminder that children really do love the simple things.
A cool thing went down after Christmas! The whole Mangus side of the fam got together for the first time in many years. SO fun to reunite and connect with those great people. 50-sh people, I think.

After 7 days of fun, we headed home. Great to get back in the swing of things.

The warm weather we enjoyed earlier in the month is O.V.E.R. The kids and I went sledding at the park by our house on New Years Eve. It was 7 degrees. 
The lighting was so cool from the bottom of the hill looking up.
Little kids in snow clothes are adorable.
That evening, we watched the movie "Romancing the Stone" from the 80s. Mack cut out of there before it was over and I found him upstairs looking on Amazon. He asked if he could order this toy:
"We could totally make that." I said. The next thing I know, he is hauling my sewing machine up the stairs. Mack and I rung in the new year sewing a stuffed Enderman thingy. 



 Happy New Year! Love, Tristie

No comments: