1/3/15

master bed and bath makeover!

So excited to show off the products of all my hard work and much patience on the part of my husband and kids. Yippee! Here is where my room started. It is a nice room and I have always loved the layout, size and features.

Our "bedspread" is 2 Mexican blankets I sewed together right after we were married. We both had one before we were married and I find it symbolic that they were joined shortly after we were! My husband sleeps hot and this blanket set up was the perfect weight for those warm St. George nights. We have used them ever since. But I was ready for a change. 
The room always seemed dark and messy with not much color.I wanted to make it into a space with good vibes that really represented my husband and me; I envisioned a fun hang out for us.


It transformed into this:



The Mexican blankets we've used as our bedspread for 14 years have a special display spot in the corner. We still use them all the time.

Moving into the bathroom...
The bath looked like this after I painted it. I didn't like it but couldn't bring myself to paint it again.
It was so stark and cold. I saw a plant shelf on the blog Vintage Revivals and knew it would go perfect in there! Adding wood, plants, and color warmed up the place.



I modified an Ikea rug to fit perfectly outside the shower.
And I still love the paint above the shower!

Other details:
Eagle string art I rescued from a thrift store and repaired
2 Ikea RAST dressers my husband and I built and modified for our nightstands
A really fun thing to search online is Ikea Rast hack. There are SO many cool versions people have made!
This pillow cover I made at Relief Society was my spring board for the whole project.

Love my mid-century dresser from Craigslist and reversible wool blanket from DI.


 Here is the checklist for this bedroom makeover:

  • deep clean: floors, windows inside and out, scrub shower, wipe down closet shelves and light fixtures
  • fresh paint !!!!
  • built/modified Ikea RAST nightstands, sanded, stained, installed handles
  • assembled platform bed (found on KSL classifieds)
  • made throw pillow fronts, sewed pillow covers
  • found new white woven blanket for bed
  • designed, cut out, and hung wood diamond art over the bed
  • painted vertical red-orange stripe 
  • gutted and organized his and her closets
  • hung different art and rearranged decor
  • replaced vanity rug
  • built plant shelf, hung shelf, painted pots, potted plants
  • painted art above shower
  • altered bath rug
  • repaired Eagle string art

Other things will still be added when the time is right. I would like to add a hanging plant, make new curtains, hang up Dax's Elk head and add a little more wall decor. I don't like too many decorations, but I think the bedroom could use a few more things.

This project morphed into something wonderful and different than my original plan. It captures the feeling I wanted in there. I call the vibe in my bedroom Desert Romance. It's earthy and vibrant. I love it.
One more before:
AFTER:
 Before:
 AFTER:

5 comments:

Beau and Rach said...

I LOVE it!!! Awesome skills Trist!

Meesha said...

Wow! That is so great! Your room looks beautiful. Nice work, girl!

Jessie said...

You are amazing! You know how to make it WORK! Love it! Love a girl with an eye for design. We may have a different aesthetic, but I think we speak the same language.

Tiffany said...

LOVE. You are so inspiring! I am going to try to take your advice and start blogging again :) Miss your spunk and sweet face.

Amelia said...

It looks so nice. I love before and after pictures! This is my kind of fun.