11/22/14

Feeling Thanky

Preslie is in 7th grade and all 7th graders take a class that gives them exposure to different skills. Each quarter they try a different class: sewing/FACS, wood shop, computer technology, and cooking. Preslie is in wood shop now and brought home a darling deer she made for us for Christmas. I was telling her that when I was in 7th grade, I had a similar class that rotated subjects each quarter. I told her I liked the wood shop part so much that I took a full semester of it the next year (and I was the only girl in the class). Dax told us that he loved the cooking part so much he took Foods for 2 more years as a result (and he was the only guy in the class). Ironically, I spent today putting up Christmas lights and building a plant shelf for my bathroom while Dax was in the kitchen making chile verde pork. I am grateful for the talents that people have; interesting to know that Dax and I have had some of the same interests since we were adolescents.

My first evening Relief Society meeting as the coordinator was on Thursday and it was a success.
My neighbor did a pie crust demonstration and I learned a lot! It was super entertaining to watch her do something she was so good at and see her reaction when people asked her questions that to her were no-brainers. Also at our meeting we talked about a few Thanksgiving and Christmas ideas. We challenged the sisters to do 24 Days of Giving during December and gave them little cards to put into their advent calendars so that each day before Christmas, they could do a service with their families. My kids will love this and it will give more meaning to this season that we celebrate Christ's birth. I have been given so much by Him and our Father in Heaven; this is a small way I can give something to show my gratitude. Should be the best Christmas yet!
gratitude tree: as the sisters came in, they wrote their thankfuls on a leaf and hung it.
Christmas advent display
service tree: 24 days of service cards are clothespinned on the branches
mitten advent frame: service card is in each glove
mini muffin tin advent. (borrowed from a friend)
dessert table: pie! (of course)
Dax and I celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary! That seems like a lot of years. Having my anniversary in November is perfect because as I think of what I'm grateful for, this guy tops the list every time.
 We ate at Mi Casa and saw the high school play Shrek: The Musical. I love having a daughter old enough to babysit! Add that to my list of thankfuls.

 Last night Dax came home from a business trip and surprised me with a sheet of plywood, a tube of liquid nails, and a bottle of wood glue. I was so excited; he knows the way to my heart! So much better than roses and candy.
headboard waiting to be born!
 Christmas came way early at our house when my father-in-law found a sweet deal on a fridge and helped us get it! I've wanted a big stainless fridge with freezer on bottom for years! My life is pretty much perfect now.
This calls for a crazy, colorful rug.
 By the way: Dax's chile verde pork was SUPERB. The Christmas lights look beautious. The plant shelf in my bathroom is drying and will be photographed soon! Grateful for Saturdays at home! Grateful to get the lights up and the tramp down before it rained/snowed this afternoon.

I am thankful for the life and talents I have. I love being a wife and mother. I'm thankful for my beautiful home. I love my husband, his cooking, his caring and hard work. I love my good kids- who they are and the potential they have. I love my friends who are like family. And my family who are my best friends.
God has blessed me incomprehensibly.

No comments: