8/10/14

loving life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness!

Summer is hauling and there is lots to catch up on so I will just start with the most recent things and work back. Last night I took my girls to Vernal for a night out. We enjoyed school shopping for Preslie, Café Rio, and going to Wool-Mert. That is what Quinn thinks it's called and she says her 'R' really strong and it is adorable. Vernal is growing up! They have a new shopping center going in... JoAnn, TJ Maxx, Ross, Sportsman's Warehouse.. I feel like I'm in the city! Vernal is 30 minutes away and when I first moved here, it was an adjustment not having shopping nearby but now I really like it. Sometimes less options are better. Traffic in our town is mellow, and shopping isn't used as a default activity or recreation quite as much as when you live in the city. I like small town living for the great down-to-earth people, open spaces, and outdoor adventures. My neighbors are on the city council and school board; my voice can be heard more easily. This is a great place to raise my family.
While the girls were playing, Hunter was getting babysat at home by Pokémon and Dax and Mack were working in the hills, checking bear traps and taking wildlife pics. They had a great time. Bears have been keeping Dax super busy this summer.

Many are getting into camp trailers and wandering through town. The dry weather is making them look harder for food. We did get a KILLER rainstorm last week that was GLORIOUS. It hailed ice marbles for a minute and then downpoured for 20 more minutes. Everyone came outside to soak it up. We haven't had rain for months. It was wonderful!

Every summer we celebrate with the rest of the Uinta Basin at U.B.I.C (Uinta Basin in Celebration) which is held right here in our town, just a stick's throw from our house. We are lucky to have the Ute
Tribe as our neighbors and they always put on a show each year. These little boys are so cute all decked out.
 Dax's favorite brother and his family came to visit and celebrate UBIC with us! They have been coming to it for the past 4 years. I snapped this pic at the concert.. I don't know how little Ev fell asleep with all the noise! Can't wait to meet their baby #3 pretty soon.

 I watch my nephew 8-5, M-F while my brother Matt works. It has been an adjustment having another kid in the mix. Great to have him close and playing with my kids everyday. I think it has helped him learn to share and get along with other kids. Being the only child, he is used to calling the shots but it is a different story when he is at my house.. My kids shut him down really quick. They also need to learn to give and take. I have too many little bosses up in here!
 Preslie, Hunter, and Mack all took swimming lessons this summer and they all passed their levels. I am proud of each of them for the improvements they've made. They have learned a lot!
 I cleaned all the baby clothes out of my storage room and gave them away! This has been a process for me. I'm closing a huge chapter of my life; one that is very dear to me.
  I am at peace and know my job is to enjoy my beautiful kids in the here and now. I love my family and am just bursting with gratitude for the chance I have had to bear FOUR healthy children and raise them.

We had Dax's Mom come visit and stay with us for a few days and we had a ball with her. She is the
 most fun and spunky grandma ever. She was like a celebrity at our house. My kids loved having her. While she was here, she made Quinn a birthday fruit pizza and we celebrated. I love my little sweetheart so much. She is a bright spot in our family. Impossible to be sad or mad when she is around.

 We drove to Dax's bro's house on Quinn's b-day (July 24) and celebrated again with those guys. And of course, Quinn always gets fireworks on her day!
 The next day, Dax and I met my bro Tyrel, wife Kaeli, and my SIL Kenzi at Lagoon for some grown up kid time riding coasters. BLAST. Only way to do Lagoon is minus little kids. I think Preslie is old enough to go finally but we needed her to babysit Quinn. My boys played at their friends' house.
We ran down to see my parents and Dax cooked up some yummy ribs for everyone. My parents are so wonderful. My Mom's health continues to go down hill but she still takes time to play games with the kids.
 
I took Hunter in for an eye exam. He looked trippy with his eyes dialated! He will look great in glasses. 2nd kid of mine who needs glasses.. Dax and I don't wear them so it is new to us.

 Dax went to Beaver High Adventure scout camp for SIX days with his teachers quorum. They hiked, repelled, biked, went canoeing, horseback riding. It was intense. It was also intense at my house with me and 5 kids and the worst PMS week of my life. (Which came first: the PMS or the husband leaving?) The kids seems crazier than normal, the toilet in the main bath was clogged for 3 days and I just was ready to flip off the BSA. My dad called mid-week and invited us to go camping with him but I only had my crappy car with bald tires and did not feel like camping one bit. He really wanted us to come so I went and choked down the $600 bill for new tires (needed to be done anyway) and took my kids camping. I am glad we went.
My boys are great hikers. Mack wanted to climb the mountain again when we woke up the next day, so we did! My girls rode with grandpa on the 4 wheeler and Preslie was driving when she got one wheel in a rut and they tipped the machine onto themselves. My Dad was quick to toss Quinn out of the way and she came away unharmed. Preslie was bruised and my Dad was the most beat up but they are all ok.
 
Took a day trip with friends to Starvation Reservior and tubed, fished, and played on the beach. It is a fun place!
We had a round of the stomach flu the beginning of July and I'm the lucky one that didn't get it. Quinn threw up in primary on the floor in front of the Sunbeams. Great timing because our church recarpeted after that! Here's Dax on 4th of July when everyone else was watching fireworks and enjoying BBQ food...

 Earlier that day, my bro Matt and I ran in the Roosevelt RedMud Run. It was 2 miles of mud and obstacles and grueling fun. We had a blast. I hope more of my family will join in and do it next 4th.





Mangus family reunion was at Palisades State Park near Manti. My MIL planned it all and brought her new kayak to share. Fun with family swimming, eating, dancing, making ice cream and making memories.

Most of our family and friends who saw the cover of the July Friend magazine thought the girl on the front looked like Quinn.

 Preslie has a blast her first year at Girls Camp. Kinda calm at our house without her spunk.


I am sad that summer is winding down. I will miss my kids and especially Mack who will be in 1st grade all day. I will miss the warm weather and the carefree schedule. But I am excited to have some time to cook good meals and work on projects while the kids are in school. I have so so many projects I want to do: Scrapbook the kids' school years, Master Bedroom decorate, and food storage just to name a few.
 
Let's end with a Mack quote, Yes?!  So Dax taught a lesson in YM about dating and making yourself worthy for a great wife. He was telling us how it went and Mack piped up with, "I'm gonna spy on the girl I'm gonna marry to see what kinds of things she does. I don't want to marry someone nerdy who drools and falls down a lot."

2 comments:

RaeLynn said...

Toooootal LOL on the Mack quote. Good choice. You don't want a clutz as a wife, fo sho.

Sounds like your summer was jam packed with awesomeness. Sometimes I think I'd like living in a small town. I love that your kids are lovin' on Preslie when she got home from camp. It's hard to believe you have a daughter old enough for girls camp! I have such fond, vivid memories of camp.

K said...

I am so glad you keep up with your blog! What a summer. I can't believe it is over. I am burned out on the school year and it has been one day:( Doesn't feel like a break at all. So glad you got to do so many fun things. Such happy memories. You are amazing to me and I'm so glad you're my friend. Love you.