You know how kids have to get put in time out and they hate it? I would love it if I was getting out-of-control and someone said, HEY- go to time out. and I got to go to my quiet room by myself and think. Well I had 2 Mom time-outs recently. The first one came after a phone conversation with a friend of mine. I was alone after I'd put my kids to bed. My house was trashed, my husband was out-of-town, and I had a huge list of things to do for primary and Halloween. Plus trying to run my house, teach piano, and care for my kids mostly by myself. I was tired, over-worked, underpaid, and depressed. I tried not to let on to my friend how crappy I felt but I must not be a good actress because the next morning, she showed up with another friend of ours, and said "We're here to rescue you! Get out of here and go for a run." I was so embarrassed, humbled, and grateful. I started to bawl. My friends gave me hugs (which made me cry harder) and I put on my running shoes and left (they wouldn't take no for an answer). It is hard to describe the feelings I had. I was humiliated. But also amazed that my friends took the time to care for me. I felt so loved but so silly that my friends had to come bail me out--that I couldn't just take care of things myself. I will never forget what they did. A simple act of kindness. They gave me a time out that I really needed!
Time out number 2 came when I dropped my kids off at my parents'. My sis-in-law Abbey picked me up and we went to St. George. No kids, uninterrupted conversation. We met up with my MIL and Abbey's Mom for Time Out For Women. We had so much fun. 3000 women at the Dixie Center and no one got lost or freaked out because of the crowds. The messages were funny, entertaining, and inspiring.
| They ended up buying the same shirt! |
Our downtime included shopping, yacking our heads off, and eating delicious salads for every meal. Fun bonding time with cool ladies!
| This salad was amazing. George's Corner Restaurant - St. George |
Mom's need to send themselves to time out more often. People don't usually give us time out unless we ask for it, plan it, arrange for the kids and the husband to be taken care of and then make it happen. It takes work for Moms to have a break. But we need to do it! We should remember to take care of the person who takes care of everyone else!


1 comment:
Yay for you! Some day, I too will escape:)
Post a Comment