11/13/11

superweek: baptism, baby, conversations,

It has been an extaordinary week. Hunter was baptized and confirmed a member of the LDS church! He had a very neat day. All 4 of his grandparents were here to celebrate with him/us. Preslie sang a solo at his baptism. I am proud of her guts to do that. I am proud of Hunter for his good decisions and his desire to do right. He is a delightful boy and a blessing in my life.

Two days later, Dax's brother and his wife gave us a new nephew! I can't wait to kiss his cheeks and snuggle his 10 pound little body!

Mack and I put up a Christmas tree in the girls' room. The boys got it in their room last year. I know it is early but I knew Mack would have fun putting it up/decorating it and it would keep him busy and happy for a while.

We have been doing a few school projects: Preslie's forest diorama and Hunter's robot garbage can.

And I am still smiling over some of the conversations...

Mack: Who makes eggs?
Me: Chickens do.
Mack: How do they make them?
Me: Their bodies make them and then the egg comes out.
Mack: What part does it come out of?
Me: *pause*
Dax: Their cloaca [pronounced clo-AY-kuh]
Mack: I don't know what part that is.
Dax: Most people don't.

That particular conversation aided nicely in our "big talk" with Hunter. I promised him when he was eight, we'd let him in on a big awesome and really important secret. You know, where babies come from. He took it great, like I knew he would.

Mack: Jesus never makes things how I want him to.
Me: How do you want things to be?
Mack: I want to pull a lever and have candy shoot out.
Me: Pull a lever on what?
Mack: EVERYTHING.

That child loves sugar with every fiber of his being. Whenever he's hungry, he never says, "I'm hungry." He just goes in the pantry and starts eating brown sugar. Or marshmallows. Or he asks me, "Can I have a cup of molasses?" The other day I asked him what he felt like eating for lunch and he said "a gingerbread house".

Quinn has started saying a bunch more words this week. She can say Mack, juice, hat, dog, light, doll, bear, Hunter, hot, and door. She is so much fun and such a darling little sweet baby. She cruises around the house with a necklace on and one finger in her belly button and writes on walls and doors with any pencil, pen or marker she finds. She loves phones, makeup, the doorbell, animals, and reading books.

Dax ended his hunting season this week with a nice buck he got in Colorado. While he was butchering and packaging the meat this evening, I had him hold up the testicles from the deer and show Preslie and Hunter (I thought it would be interesting to them since they both know about reproduction now). Preslie of course freaked out. Dax told her to calm down; that it was just apart of science. She said, "I like science but I hate private parts." Then Hunter (unintentionally) said "I hate science but I love private parts." We had a good laugh.

Saturday we all worked on outdoor projects. Preslie and I stained the posts that hold up the roof over the back stairs. When she came out in a cute little outfit to help me, I told her that her clothes would probably get ruined so she needed to put on crappy clothes. She said, "I don't have anything crappy. All my stuff is awesome."

We cleaned and detailed the Durango and also cleaned out the garage; we can actually park both cars in it. It was a great day's work.

It is so unfair that housework that takes many hours to complete can be undone by kids in a matter of minutes. Like this afternoon when Mack comes running in my room covered in Eucerin cream. The carpet and chair in his room also got a nice dose. That stuff is like Crisco. I did the best to clean it up all the while asking Heavenly Father, "How am I supposed to teach and raise this child?" This is the same afternoon that he sneaked the scotch tape and matches out of the kitchen. Quinn's crib got taped up really good. Luckily I caught him as he was running away with the matches. Seriously, I think he would challenge someone with the most advanced parenting skills. But lucky for him his darling face is now even more soft and kissable than ever..

1 comment:

Accuracy Sports said...

Thanks for the insite. You are in the middle of the "good ol' days".