Last Sunday was stake conference, but we didn't realize that until we showed up to our 9 o'clock church (at 9:05, of course), and our ward wasn't there.
We made it to our 10am Stake Conference on time! And although it is always a physically/mentally exhausting experience to keep 4 kids sitting down and quiet for 2 hours, it was worth it; The talks were so good. One in particular stood out to me. Tad R. Callister of the Seventy spoke about marriage and how husbands and wives should commit to each other and work together and love each other. It seems like common sense, but I think so many go into marriage thinking "what can this marriage do for me" instead of "what can I do for this marriage". Elder Callister related a story about Winston Churchill and Nancy Astor. Lady Astor, who was unimpressed losing patience with Churchill said, "Winston, if you were my husband, I'd put poison in your soup." To which Winston replied, "If I were your husband, I'd drink it."
I don't remember many of the exact words from the talk, but I remember the feeling and the main message, which was that a good marriage takes commitment and hard work and humility and is the most wonderful and rewarding of life's relationships. I came away from the meeting feeling good about my marriage and my relationship with my husband. There is always room for improvement, though and one thing that was touched on in that talk was that couples should continue to date and have regular date nights. We do go on regular dates twice a year: on my birthday and on our anniversary. I am thinking we can/should improve on that!
Since it was our anniversary this past week, Dax and I went on a date and it was so nice to talk and enjoy uninterrupted conversation! Wow. It was a simple but perfect date.
I wish I could have had a video camera when we left the restaurant and Dax got into the car parked next to ours by mistake. There was an almost identical red Durango parked right next to our red Durango in the parking lot and Dax opened the door to get in until I started yelling, "That's not our car!"
I am hoping to have more frequent date nights with my husband; I really like hanging out with him!
No comments:
Post a Comment