10/27/11

you might be a redneck if...

you have your buck tied to the top of your family car-

I got my deer!

Dax and I woke up at 4am yesterday to head out to the Book Cliffs. We had arranged for Preslie and Hunter to go to school and then to friends' houses after school. We loaded Mack and Quinn and our gear and drove out in a snow storm. It snowed all morning as we drove around. Visibility was limited and the deer weren't really out because of the storm. We saw a few does, fawns and maybe 2 bucks. One of the bucks was a huge 2 point that I was tempted to shoot but it ran away when we got closer. Mack was in the back seat being himself and making it difficult to hunt. I couldn't blame him though. We drove around all day long. I questioned myself many times as to why I was doing this. It was freezing cold, so muddy, and not an activity I would choose to do with little kids. But, Dax has put me in the drawing for this Book Cliffs hunt for 9 years. I tried to make the most of it.
We met Dad, Matt, and Trent out there and had lunch with them then they piled in our Durango and we hunted together. Dax drove us around for hours in the mud. Our SUV is covered.
We saw a few deer but nothing too exciting. Around 3 or 4 pm I was holding Quinn on my lap in the front seat and my eyes started to close a bit. Dax asked if I was ok and if I was getting bored. I said yes but mostly just tired. I layed my head back and 1 minute later, Dax yells, "There's a huge buck! Paul, Tristie, someone shoot it!" My Dad didn't seem to be getting out very quickly and I knew I could get it so I handed Quinn to Dax and jumped out. The buck was headed up the hill behind some trees. I feel like I made a good shot and knew I hit it. It ran up the hill and all the guys were chasing after it. I wasn't in a hurry because I thought I hit it good and that it would lay down. It did lay down but crazy Dax was running up the mountain after it holding Quinn and was telling us to follow the tracks.
It is a nice mature 4 point buck. I'm happy! The guys were proud of me. Dax, Dad and my brothers totally did all the work after I shot it. Dax gutted and caped and quartered it and my bros hauled it all up the hill. We tied it to the top of our Durango and we drove home. I had done what I came to do. Dax loves to hunt so much and I am glad I could make him happy by being apart of what he loves to do.


I am relieved that I got a deer. There is a lot of pressure associated with this! Four of us had deer tags: me, 2 of my brothers and my Dad. All of us shot nice bucks and had a great time. Stressful and complicated with little children, but fun.

4 comments:

Accuracy Sports said...

Congratulations!!!! Extra, new and improved, very, muy, special deer. You're the best!

K said...

What! Now you've branched out into the hunting world? You my dear are simply amazing. You succeed at everything you do. You're pretty much my hero.

Kimberly said...

And what a great lookin' deer that is. Congrats.

moi said...

Gorgeous buck, great photos! How is it that you can be so cute and girly one minute, then totally go all Lara Croft the next? You blow my mind, woman!