4/27/07

Goodbye to a Great Experience

Six months ago, I joined a gym and started waking up at 5:30am so I could go to aerobics at 6. Not so I could lose weight, but so I could be healthy. "What is the motivation in that?", some may ask. For me, being healthy was a strong motivation. For the past 2 years, I have been watching my mom struggle with M.S. and have seen her health decline steadily and have also seen a decline in health in other people that are close to us. It is so difficult to see my parents get older and my brain cannot seem to fully realize or accept that change, sometimes. Especially when my little family is constantly moving and doing and experiencing new things all the time. And to see that bodies really do wear out and get old and that we can't keep the same pace forever made me realize that I have a great opportunity to improve my health and do more, while I can, to prolong a healthy lifestyle for myself and my family in the future. I want to be a healthy mom. I want to keep up with my kids, not just now, but in 20 and 30 years from now when I will probably be a grandma.

Each morning for the past 2 months has been very difficult for me because of this pregnancy and I've made the decision to end my contract at the gym next month. I will continue to exercise on my own and with my kids, but it will not be at 6 in the morning. I've really had a neat experience with making an exercise goal, and keeping it this time, so saying goodbye to the gym will be kind of sad for me. Everything they say about regular exercise is true. You will have tons more energy, your stress levels will drop, your weight will drop, your physical/emotional/mental/ AND spiritual well-being will increase, and all those things will just make you feel really good! It's amazing. And if I can do it, anyone can do it! I am so happy I had this experience, but I guess it is time to find something new to work on (like sleeping in!).

2 comments:

annek said...

You are amazing! I can't believe you are so dedicated to exercising. I talk about it a lot but find it hard to actully do! Thanks for a little inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Tristie, you will be back at the gym as soon as Jr. Baby is old enough to be alone for an hour or two. I am so glad for you and hope all is well now and always.