I read my Grandma Dorothy's life story yesterday. I can't stop thinking about it. She wrote it herself, so it was extra special to hear her voice through her words. She died when I was six but I still remember her and the way she made me feel special whenever we'd visit her home in the small mining town of East Carbon, Utah. She was born in the 20s and was a child during the Depression. The hard times I read about in her story are still sinking in and penetrating my heart. My life is so ridiculously easy compared to hers. As I knelt by my bed this morning to say my prayer, I thanked Heavenly Father for a warm, quiet home. That Quinn was healthy and happy and singing in her bedroom. That my other 3 kids were at school and able to get an education and that they were healthy enough to do so. I thanked Him that I was wearing comfortable shoes. That I slept in a cozy bed.
For about a year, I've felt an urge to simplify. To peel away all the things in my life that aren't important so I can focus on those things that truly matter. People, experiences, and books have been placed in my path that have helped me in my journey to a more simple life. My Grandma's story is one of those pieces that is guiding me to the life I need to be living. I feel a stirring of urgency and excitement inside me that is pushing me. I'm getting closer, but I have a lot of work left to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment