Project 1: Finish a basement bedroom for Preslie
Framing. The whole basement was already framed. Then I had a brilliant idea to put in another closet in the bedroom (2 closets?! great on so many levels) Then I had another brilliant idea to rip out the 1st closet and move it opposite the 2nd closet on the other side of the window. Then when my patient, loving, wonderful Father-in-law and wonderful, loving and patient husband were loading up their tools, I told them to frame in a window seat between the two closets. They didn't think it was so brilliant at the time, but I just knew it was the right thing to do. And I'm SO glad I asked them to do it! They did a great job with no complaining and only called me crazy ONE time. I deserved way more.
| double closets with window seat in the middle! |
Same bedroom, different window-
Same window, now with drywall, trim, and primer-
This shot shows trim, baseboards, lighting, shelves in closets, paint, and floor.
Doors added!
The floor deserves its own chapter. I STRUGGLED with what flooring to do. I really wanted wood or pergo. Then I changed my mind and decided to do a stained concrete floor (awesome btw- google it). To stain the concrete, I had to strip all the paint overspray off. I scrubbed and scraped for days. I was exhausted and my husband was tired of my "brilliant" ideas. THEN I stumbled across a decorating blog and the gal had painted the concrete floor in her daughter's bedroom. I knew that was the answer to my unspoken prayers. I patched the couple of holes that were in the concrete from when I had the boys rip out the first closet. Then I cleaned the floor really well and then painted it with special floor paint. I then painted a seal overtop that gave it a shine and durability. That was the most painless and easy part about it-actually DOing it. The thought process and decision making and the SCRAPING were torture!
Here is a before/after looking from the family room into the hallway to Preslie's room. You can see through the doorways the window seat in the distance!
| before drywall |
| after drywall |
Another project to add to the pile: refinish Preslie's furniture. Here it is in all it's gaggy glory. Cream and gold! We decided to paint them bright white. We changed the handles also. SO much better.
Here's a tiny peak of Preslie's room that has been in the works and still not done! But at least she got to move in; and oh was she excited! She's not had a real bedroom since November 2012. Her stuff has been strewn all over the basement (see above pic) since we drywalled in February. She's been sleeping in the office or on the basement floor or in an unfinished bedroom with no door for 7 months. I sneaked in while she was sleeping tonight to get this pic so it's not great but it gives an idea of the vibe.
It is coming along and looking so fun. I still have some way cool stuff I'm going to do. Finish the window seat is on the list!
6 comments:
I love everything about this room. I would die for two closets, heck I'd die for one! Plus, a window seat, what girl doesn't want one of those? I think it's genius even if you did change your mind several times:) So lucky to be getting rooms completed. I wish I had a house to design rooms in. Keep up the hard work.
Whoa! So much work but great results. How cool. Love that rug. Can't wait to see more of it. You're so cool Tristie.
Love it!!!
Super impressed Trist! Looks so good :)
Brilliant! Love the bright white! And the window seat idea brings it all together! Just think of how fun that can be once it is done! Love it!
Can I come for a slumber party in this room? Super cute for a super cute girl. Bravo everyone!
Post a Comment