4/22/13

Paradise Found

Last summer, my niece Aubrae got engaged to a kid she met at BYU-Hawaii. The wedding was scheduled for spring 2013 in the Laie, Hawaii temple. Of course I wanted to go to it with Dax (neither of us have been to Hawaii) but the plane tickets alone were going to be over a thousand bucks. I forgot about going and, long story short, about a week before the wedding, I booked a plane ticket and everything fell into place for my trip to Hawaii. Dax stayed to care for the kids, I arranged a few babysitters so he could keep his job, cancelled or delegated the rest of my committments, filled all the soap dispensers in the house, and I was off!

I hitched a ride to the airport with my childhood BFF, Katie. Love her. She totally brings out the kid in me. We drove for hours until we arrived at the airport in Boise, Idaho. Turns out it is way cheaper to fly to Honolulu from there. Like half the price. And it added a fun road trip onto the front and back of the trip.

I was met in Honolulu with a lei and a kiss from my sister, Trina and her family. So fun to see them again. They live in Florida and I hadn't seen them in almost a year. Her baby, 5 year old Zya, helped me not miss my kids with all her busy cuteness and good hugs. I met my new nephew-to-be, and Jason's parents were also there.
 We stopped at this Buddhist temple. I rang the gong for blessings and happiness. Check.


 Here is the view from the balcony of the 7th floor condo where we stayed. I could throw a stick to the beach. Those palm trees were like 200 feet tall! I just breathed in that misty, warm air. A great first day in Hawaii.

 The next day (Monday) was busy because we had to get all the last minute stuff for the reception. We went into Honolulu to shop. We stopped by Savers to find platters. I found some treasures..careful not to go overboard because I only brought one suitcase! We hit Sam's Club and Wal-Mart and then grabbed my parents from the airport! Yay!
 They were so excited. I loved being with them. I squeezed in the condo with everyone. 8 people in a 1 bedroom condo. They were so cool to let me crash their party!
 Here are Jason's parents sleeping on the air mattress. Their shoulders were on the ground about every 2-3 hours so Kent would fire up the insanely loud air pump periodically throughout the night so they could get some cushion! I woke up at 3:30-4am every morning (ready to party) for the first 3 days I was there because of the time change! If I'd been at home, that would have been sleeping in until 7:30 or 8!
 Tuesday was reception day. We all went to the stake center and decorated. I took a before picture because I was thinking how ugly this room was but look how cute it transformed!
Super fun. I took a break from decorating to go iron Aubrae's wedding dress and veil in her dorm room. It was small and her suitcases were everywhere because she was moving out. Oh, and it was 90 degrees in there. With 80% humidity. And the nightstand I ironed the gown on was about 18 inches square. Totally ideal, I'd say! A friend was doing her make-up and hair in there so I got to girl chat with them. So fun.

The bride with her Mama.
 Awesome. Me telling my Mom how to run my camera. These are the uncles and aunties who came.

The next day Aubrae and Kendrick both received their endowment. Then they were married! The sealing was awesome. I am so happy I was there to share the experience. Cool.


The Laie Temple is gorgeous. The grounds are amazing.

After that, everything else we did was just bonus. My Mom and I played at the beach by the condo.
This girl loves the ocean! Really fun to be here with my Mom. I will always cherish this.
Zya towing Mom on the boogie board. Such water dogs!
The next day we went to the Polynesian Cultural Center. Fantastic! Got a great flavor for all the different islands. Informative and entertaining!
This Samoan guy climbed a 50 foot coconut tree-shimmied right up. The guy was like, "this is the way we work out. Our program is called Tree 90 X". They were so fun.
Me and Dad at the PCC. I got him the hat at a blowhole by the ocean. I climbed down the rocks to get it. My Mom hates it! It is kinda ugly... but you can't pass up a free hat.
I snorkeled at Hanauma Bay. My first real snorkel experience. Super fun. I saw a sea turtle at arm's length! Plus tons of beautiful fish.
I met back up with Katie at the end of the week and we flew home together. A wonderful trip! So grateful for all who made it possible.
I was welcomed home with such enthusiasm! I forgot how cute my kids were and how handsome Dax was! They were so sweet. Funny how sometimes you have to travel 3,000 miles to realize that paradise is in your very own home.

5 comments:

val said...

wow and wow! love that you got to go on this trip, even though you were without your sweetheart. i'm sure you will not soon forget it. the pics are beautiful. have you been to hawaii before? i'm itching to experience it for myself.
your family is so loving and sweet.
and lol on you filling the soap dispensers and heading out!

Abbey said...

Love that you were able to be there for such a neat thing! And how cool to spend that special time with your parents.

K said...

What a fantastic experience. Hawaii is still on my bucket list. One day. You look so fantastic in these photos. I'm a little jealous of your skinniness:) I love your positive outlook on life and so miss you! So glad you had a safe, fun, and memorable trip.

Accuracy Sports said...

Thanks for the sweet experience. Your photos show a great time and a fun family. Soooo.o..o glad you are back. We all missed you here on the main land.

Lifes Great Adventures said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Glad you had a great time making memories with your parents and family.