Today the 2nd grade put on a wonderful program called "Proud To Be An American Citizen". Hunter posted the American Flag at the beginning (note his cub scout uniform) and after the Pledge of Allegiance, everyone sang our national anthem. I don't know, maybe I am getting old and soft but I cannot make it through that song without tearing up! There is something so beautiful about a group of Americans standing and singing The Star Spangled Banner together. And listening to these innocent, sweet kids sing it pushed me over the edge.
The program was awesome. What was NOT awesome was that I was alone with Quinn and Mack. Why oh WHY didn't I get a sitter. Quinn was stellar for a 1-year-old. Mack was.. Mack.
The thing was only 30 minutes long and for the closing number, the kids sang "God Bless the USA", which is equally as touching as our national anthem. I pulled my camera up to video it and Mack sought his opportunity to walk right up to the front where the kids were singing. I was so embarrassed and mad! He has pulled this before- at Preslie's school performance last year! I will forever get a sitter for such occasions in the future. And Mack has lost video games for a week.
I held cub scouts at my house after school and didn't even have to tell Hunter to put on his uniform. Our den talked about the dangers of drugs and alcohol and I told them about my sister who I lost to drugs 11 years ago. I made them promise me with a handshake that they would never smoke, drink alcohol, or do drugs. I have never done any of these things and it is because I made the decision while I was young that I wouldn't. That choice has infinitely blessed my life.
Today I am proud to be an American and proud to be drug free!
2 comments:
I'm totally going soft in my old age. I agree on the star spangled banner...I saw an old video of Whitney Houston singing it...man. Chills.
I didn't know you lost a sister. I know it was long ago, but you never get over those things and I'm sorry you've had to deal with a loss like that. You are teaching young ones very important things and I hope they will remember these things. Making those decisions and commitments early on in life is the best way to go!
Hunter is extra handsome in uniform!
Post a Comment