10/18/15

Sunshine in my Heart

Twelve years ago, I gave birth to my first son! My pregnancy with Hunter was moderately difficult, partly because of my physical discomfort, and partly because of our living arrangements. I had "afternoon sickness" almost every day at lunch. When I was 5 months along, we moved to Kanab, Utah for Dax's summer job with the BLM. Dax and I lived in a government camp trailer in an RV park with 1-year-old Preslie. The thin foam we slept on made my hips ache terribly. The trailer also smelled like stale cigarette smoke. Passing the days with a 1-year-old at an RV park in a small town was kinda boring, but kinda cool. Life was really simple. It was that summer we found out our baby was a boy. We were SO excited. We all were hoping for a boy and of all my pregnancies, finding out on this one was the most exciting. Perhaps living in a camping trailer makes you appreciate things more. But I just knew this baby was special and I loved him already.
Delivery Day! 10-18-03
We moved to Logan at the end of the summer to continue schooling at Utah State. My belly got huge and I got many comments, including being asked if I was having twins. Hunter made his debut in the afternoon on October 18 weighing in at just under 8 pounds-my biggest baby. He was such a sweet, calm, and pleasant baby from day 1. Even the pediatrician commented how patient he was at his appointment at 2-days-old, when Hunter had to get his heels poked for his PKU test. He barely cried.

Hunter is a delightful child. He is crazy smart; he loves to read and learn. He is my snuggler, still hugs me lots everyday and sleeps with a stuffed animal he got when he was a baby (cute!). He is aware of people's feelings and never wants to put anyone out. He loves little children and babies and tries to keep them happy. He is kind and doesn't have a bad thing to say about anyone. I love that the most about Hunter. A lot of people have really showy or obvious talents. Hunter isn't showy. He is just himself. He knows what is right and tries to do his best. His natural integrity and kindness is important and the talent that is most desirable in life.

Today in sacrament meeting, the opening hymn was no. 228 You Can Make the Pathway Bright. During the Sacrament, I read the words to that song over and over and they really sank in. I want to live in a way that there is always sunshine in my heart. Nothing would make me more happy than to see my kids do the same.

Hunter got called up to the pulpit by our bishop and we raised our hands in favor of him receiving the Aaronic Priesthood. He looked so tall and handsome in his suit (almost as tall as the bishop). I'm filled with sunshine, just thinking about what a good boy Hunter is becoming. He is making choices that will lead him to a happy life. I teared up thinking about how blessed I am and how much our Heavenly Father has guided me throughout my life and given me these wonderful kids. I care about them so much. There is no other way to raise kids than to turn my life over to Him and rely on his constant direction. Hunter was ordained to be a deacon today. What a stud.

At Hunter's request, we cooked the turkey that Hunter shot this past spring, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, and rolls. Crumb cake for dessert.

I have a 12 -year-old son! It's awesome!


 

1 comment:

Angie said...

And you picked the Summer I wasn't here!!! I say you try again, we can make Kanab the Bomb-Dot-Com!:)