2/9/15

extreme makeover: bedroom edition

My friend Jo was sick of her dark master bedroom and asked me for some direction. The first thing I told her to do was de-junk. She has a huge walk-in closet, but it was so crammed with stuff that clothes and shoes were trickling out into the bedroom and making unwanted piles of clutter.
Jo's organized closet
After Jolona de-junked, we worked on furniture placement. She had too much furniture on the wall opposite her bed. She also had a treadmill in front of her window.
 She sold the treadmill and we moved things around.

Her bench took its spot at the foot of the bed. Notice the paintings sadly tacked to the wall above Jo's bed. She bought those in the Dominican Republic 3 years ago while visiting her parents on their mission. She had fallen out of love with them and was just sick of the conglomeration of stuff she had going in there. 

 Bottom line: Her room had become a catch-all with no clear theme. The happy vibes of her paintings were lost amongst the other random decor, dark paint, and clutter.

Our mission was clear: we needed to
  • paint!
  • update curtains
  • frame those awesome paintings!
  • reupholster the bench
  • add complementing decor

 We worked/played our guts out for 7 days and transformed the entire room!
I love the new look. It's got island vibes with Latin influence.

We found this cool orange ship painting at Savers and decorated with some of Jo's husband's mission souvenirs from Brazil. If you have a whip in your master bedroom, it totally takes it up a notch!
These woven baskets hung over the archway sing Spanish love songs to me! I found all of them for around a dollar each at DI.
a nod to Latin decor
If you peek through the arched doorway, you can see into Jo's new bathroom.

Before the makeover, Jolona's favorite thing about her bathroom was her laundry shoot cabinet.
My favorite thing was her soaker tub.

So she worked on the wall adjacent to her cabinet...
bathroom accent wall
And I worked on "installing" a wood beam over her tub...
painted faux wood beam

BEFORE: 
 AFTER: 

BEFORE:
 AFTER:
 I think a big fancy tub needs candles! I found these AWESOME solid brass candlesticks at DI for $10.

a few more shots...
 before:
 after:





The whole project took about 7 days (crazy!). We painted and decorated the whole thing for $200. That is so inexpensive when you think about at all the things we used in the makeover:
  • 4 gallons of paint
  • curtains, curtain rod, curtain clips
  • 4 throw pillows
  • upholstery fabric
  • art and decor
  • plants
  • wood glaze
  • pillow cases
  • wood for framing artwork
  • bedspread
Jolona is thrilled with her new master and I am so happy with how it all came together.

One more before and after:

What do you think?

5 comments:

jolona Freston said...

love it! I wish we would have gotten the picture with the treadmill and all the furniture crammed in against the one wall

Amelia said...

It looks amazing! I love the green accent wall! I can't believe you painted that bulkhead. It looks SO real! I wish I had known you were so talented. I would have had you help me with my master bedroom/bathroom makeover. Talk about a nightmare! I haven't woken up yet either... Love, Aja

Meesha said...

I lOVE that accent wall! Makes me want to go paint something. Nice work, Ladies!

Accuracy Sports said...

Tristie, you are such a worker! The place looks totally different and really, really, good! Congratulations.

RaeLynn said...

Wow! That looks so good! I love it :) By the way, I don't know if you still read my blog, and I won't be offended if you don't because blogs are so 2008, right? ;) Anywho, it's private now and I can get you an invite if you want :)