7/21/11

long awaited family reunion

It has been too long since my Dad's side of the family got together. We used to do a big camping/boating family reunion every summer. Then we got off doing it one year. Well, that one year turned into 12 years! A lot has happened in 12 years. Like, I got married and had 4 kids. So it was Dax's and my kids' first Warner campout.

We made up for lost time by doing some 4-wheeling and kayaking. Dax and I drove up to my family's old favorite camping spot-Pete's Hole- and I showed my kids what fun I used to have as a kid up there. It is a beautiful high mountain lake full of trout and surrounded by tall pines, trails, hiding places. Then gutsy Dax decided to jump in the lake. The water was fuh-REEZING. I have new respect for my husband! Then Hunter decided to jump in. And then Preslie. Mack was in about to his thighs. Quinn and I had a great time watching/relaxing on the shore.

We had a wonderful time catching up, meeting new members of the family, and laughing at old times while roasting marshmallows by the fire. You'd think that on such an important occasion, I'd have brought a fresh set of batteries for my camera..

This is the picture I have to represent the trip. My darling Dad and 2 sons leaving for their big 4-wheeling expedition.

We had to leave Saturday morning so we missed all the action that afternoon. A bunch of my family/relatives rode up to Pete's Hole on 4-wheelers and motorcycles to check it out and my sister-in-law Kaeli wrecked her dirt bike and broke her leg super bad. She rode all the way back down the mountain and back to the nearest hospital in Price to get her leg wrapped. Then all the way to Salt Lake for real medical care surgery. She broke her fibula and had a spiral break down her tibia so badly that she now has a metal rod in it and screws and clamps bracing her bone while it heals. The rod will stay in the rest of her life. She was wearing a helmet and elbow pads that took a beating so we are counting our blessings that she's alive and recognizable.

If there are a couple of lessons to be learned here, they are: WEAR a HELMET! and
it is never too late to get together with loved ones!

1 comment:

K said...

I hate it when you forget to charge your camera batteries and there is a good reason you need your camera. Been there, done that. It looks like it was a ton of fun, minus the hospital trip. Glad she's ok although I would imagine in a lot of pain.